{{gwi:268743}}

Comments (15)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Beautiful roses and view!

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Yup. Lovely roses. Lovely view.

Do you know what cultivars these are? Some look like Austins?

Jeri

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Love your roses--and what a skyline view beyond!

Kate

• windeaux
    10 years ago

WOW -- I that ever impressive! I'm assuming those are photographs of a roof garden atop a high-rise building. If so, how many stories up is it?

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

I am amazed! THanks for sharing these pictures.

Is that a Pierre Rosnard rose in China? I find it interesting a Romantica would be imported to China considering that China has many local hybridizers of various plants; Can't imagine how many rose hybrids are abound in China.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Austins and Pierre Rosnard. Lovely roses!

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some updates and the gardening pet:

{{gwi:268744}}

{{gwi:268745}}

{{gwi:268746}}

{{gwi:268747}}

{{gwi:268748}}

{{gwi:268749}}

{{gwi:268750}}

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Unbelievable!!! Cute dog too!

I think I see...James Galway, Eden, maybe Pomponella??? Christopher Marlowe and...Abe Darby? Not sure which yellow Austin but it's beautiful.

I'm envious to say the least.

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    10 years ago

musaboru -- I once saw an interview with Ping Lim online, in which Lim noted that he brought back a lot of plant materials from China for his work but unfortunately few people engaged in commercial rose hybridizing in China. I recalled the reason that Lim gave was that there is little monetary incentive to do because of the lack of IP right protection.

That said, I was able to find media reports by Googling that indicates at least a limited number of entities (e.g., the State Agricultural Scient Academy) do hybridize roses and have introduced what seems to be a limited number of new varieties. But from what I can make out from the name translations, the few varieties that the parentage is disclosed all are cross of "Western" roses. For example, the "theme" flower for the rose festival this past May is developed locally and seems to be a cross of Belami and Cardinal. It is described as a productive cut rose variety. Here is the picture.

I visted Beijing once in May a few years ago, and there are millions (or so it seems to me) of roses along the highways and in City parks. Along the so-called Ring Roads, miles and miles and miles of roses are planted. I The ones I saw are mostly Floribundas and Hybrid Teas. I did not see any Tea or China, and figured that for those one would have to go the botanical gardens.

It would be interesting to know whether rosarians there grow OGRs that are native to China.

BTW, I just saw another media report on Google that says for this year festival, the City of Beijing have planted over 2,000 varities of roses, totalling more than a million in number. Out of these, other than the one referred to above, there are twenty five or so new introductions from Chinese hybridizers.

If anyone is knowledge about the current state of rose industry in China, please do share.

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    10 years ago

Jujujojo -- what lovely rose garden you have!

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

farmer duck :)

My guess is that the rose development has been intertwined for quite a while. Initially, it was exchange visitations, then it is joint work.

The roses in the recent pictures may look different due to the summer heat. These are summer flowers. The location is southern - Huai'an is the latitude of North Carolina. Beijing, on the other hand, is cold, alkaline, dry and windy in the north.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 13:40

• reemcook
    10 years ago

What a view! The glorious roses and city. The sweet little dog is precious.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Roses are everywhere in china, beautiful garden . Love your little garden helper. Red poodle?

• susan4952
    10 years ago

It is driving me crazy. What is the name of the second rose in the second group of pics? I cannot remember the name; it was recently offered by a nursery that closed
    Thanks!

• susan4952
    10 years ago

It isn't dragons blood! Is it?