Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buds turning brown??

Posted by flowergirl70ks 5/6KS (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 11:47

My roses have never looked better-in fact they look great all over town. Now the buds get a frosted brown look around the edges and are not very pretty when they bloom. does anyone know what is causing this? Some of my peonies did this too. The little mini's are not so effected.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buds turning brown??

Could be flower thrips. These tend to peak toward the end of the first flush and may subside, or not.

o

Thrips.

If you want to do something about it, welcome to the world of spraying. I've tried a number of things through the years, but nothing seems to work as well as a two-punch combination of Conserve (spinosad) sprayed all over, along with finishing up with spraying Avid on the buds. This is done weekly. More often might work better, but I simply can't manage the task of spraying during the week.

The Conserve helps to keep the general population down, but it's not enough to keep the buds/blooms clean. The Avid is important. Its action is trans-laminar, meaning that it will penetrate through the multiple layers of the bud. That's the only way you'll get the thrips once they're in the buds.

I've tried everything else - imidacloprid, orthene, Conserve by itself, Avid by itself and even some other combinations of insecticide. Nothing works as well for me (and does less damage to beneficials) than the two-punch combination.

Rosemania has some new stuff called Naturalis, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

o

Of course, I never thought of looking for thrip. It hasn't been a real problem here for me before. Thanks for the tips.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here