Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsox_gw

Any new deer deterrents?

redsox_gw
9 years ago

I read on GW about various deer deterrents including ivory soap shavings, pepper, beaten egg and water, etc. Most of these have to be reapplied after every rain, including Deer Off. We get a lot of brief thunderstorms at night, which means more spraying than I can accomplish.

Nothing is more exasperating than growing a beautiful rose bush, awaiting the bloom and then all of the buds are gone.

Has anyone found any new products on the market that are easy to use? Sometimes I wonder why I am growing roses if I don't get to enjoy them.

Comments (7)

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

I use Liquid Fence. It works OK. The label claims it is rain proof. I reapply after a couple of hard rain storms.

This past winter was very cold with continuous deep snow that forced the deer to expand their feeding territories. They were in my yard often. I think my yard is still within their itinerary.

• sowandgrow
    9 years ago

From contributor "grdnstff" at UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research on Vancouver Island

He has used this for 5 years and swears it is the best recipe for him to use.
    1 tablespoon of baking powder
    1 egg yolk
    1 litre of water
    Spray plants every 2-3 weeks.

The deer were munching on my tulips, I sprayed this on and they haven't touched them so far..it's been a couple weeks now. It doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Don't bother with the sweeneys deer repellant bait stations they are a waste of money

• deervssteve
    9 years ago

I won't rely on anything that isn't a physical barrier. Something will work for a while and then the deer ignore it.

Every year for over 20 years the Deer would eat my Reine de Violettes. Last year I decided to give Liquid fence a try.One plant, so it was easy to spray it reguarly.
    They left it alone for a year and then they didn't. At least they had the decency to let it bloom just once. I was so encouraged with the early success of liquid fence that I planted four HT and sprayed them with liquid fence. The deer got all of them and the foliage looked like **** from the liquid fence. I've had a grouping of agapanthus for over 20 years. One year the deer got the flower stalks, but generally left it alone. This year it was targeted and there isn't much left.

I decided if I wanted HT, I would cage them. I banished RDV to my OGR slope and caged it.

• redsox_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the responses. I might try the egg business if it lasts 2 weeks.

Has anyone come up with a more attractive way to fence? We have one area we fenced, it looks like a monstrosity. Again, I am wondering whether I should have them if I don't get to enjoy. Too much work for little return.

• FloodmanRoad
    9 years ago

We've used just about every commercial formulation out there and our deer seemed to consider it their favorite salad dressing. This year my wife found a recipe for a "home brewed" repellent that uses eggs, garlic, cayenne (she substituted Red Hot sauce) and a little milk. Nothing has been touched! The flower garden is gorgeous (@deervssteve: we put a fence around the vegetable garden each summer - we're believers but not crazy) and it's growing beautifully - even the one tulip that was left over from last year's devastation is standing proud and pretty.

The stuff we use doesn't have an odor we notice outside - and just a "cooking with garlic" smell inside when it's being made. However - she sprays it liberally from a pump sprayer with the nozzle removed - and repeats the spraying after each rainfall. Not so much work for the reward in our opinion. Have not seen any damage to any plants from liberal foliar application.

Deer definitely will eat absolutely anything if they are hungry enough - we just have to see if they can get sufficiently hungry to chew through egg, garlic and hot sauce!

• deervssteve
    9 years ago

my cage

Here is a link that might be useful: cage

• coachr
    9 years ago

Physical barriers (IE: fencing) may be the best protection, but it can be unsightly. Who wants to entomb their flowers with a fence?
    We use Deer Repellent Packs for just the reason you explain in your post. They are easy to apply and the product is encased in a weather resistant pouch providing protection for up to 90 days. You can learn more about them at www.DeerRepellentPacks.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: All Weather Deer Repellent

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!