Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmoore66_gardener

Should I be spraying for prevention

dmoore66_gardener
11 years ago

My roses are sprouting and are about 4-6" high.

Should I be spraying them to prevent the various fungus diseaes that may or may not appear in the near future?

Comments (12)

• michaelg
    11 years ago

People growing typical modern roses in New Jersey normally spray preventatively for blackspot, which is otherwise inevitable. Begin spraying when some leaves are open. Most often recommended is Bayer Disease Control for Roses [etc] containing only tebuconazole. It is very effective sprayed every two weeks. You may find it at Lowe's, or certainly online. A product called Deer-Off, or a homemade mixture containing eggs, will help with your deer problem.

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

What are the names of your roses? Rugosas, for example, normally do not tolerate some/many/most? commercial sprays. Many of the modern Knock Out type roses (which often now are about the only type available in non specility stores) do not need any spraying under normal growing conditions.
    ---------------------------------

The following is from the West Jersey Rose Society site:

"Diseases Prevention: Blackspot is the worst problem in this area. It can be prevented by a regular spray
    program with a fungicide. The key is regular, once during the season will not do the trick. Bayer Advanced All-
    In-One Rose and Flower Care is a soil drench that is listed as effective for 6 weeks. It contains a fungicide,
    insecticide and fertilizer. If you don't want to spray or use chemicals, look for disease resistant varieties. The
    Rugosa roses and many of the new shrub or landscape roses (The Knockout series, Meidiland series, Flower
    Carpets, Romanticas, etc.) are very good and will do well without spraying."
    http://www.wjrs.org/Grow_Beautiful_Roses/Basics_for_growing_good_roses.pdf

------------------------------------------------
    The Jersey Shore Rose Society gives recommendations for no spray roses and also a list of roses that need spraying in their area.
    http://www.jsroses.com/f/roserecs6.pdf

-----------------------------------------------
    There also is a North Jersey Rose Society but they do not have any information on their site about spraying.
    http://hmforsty.tripod.com/northjerseyrosesociety/
    --------------------------------------------
    The Garden State Rose Club which is located at 322 Main Street, Ridgefield Park, NJ does not appear to have a web page.

Here is a link that might be useful: West Jersey Rose Society article

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    11 years ago

If you name the varieties of roses that you are growing, then I can give you a definitive answer. If they are hybrid teas, they will need treatment, but I want more information before you begin. Are they own root or grafted? How long have they been in the ground? How many plants?

BTW, The Garden State RS has disbanded.

I wrote the paper from the Jersey Shore RS that henry_kuska linked.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Forget the Bayer Advanced All-In-One Rose and Flower Care (soil drench). If you have blackspot problems, spray only for blackspot instead of trying to ruin the environment with insects spray you don't need. So what if it has fertilizer also--there are better fertilizers out there to use. So if you get the Bayer ALl-in-One, 2/3s of your money will be spent on things you don't need to control blackspot. Instead, buy the Bayer product that is only for blackspot: Bayer Garden Disease Control for Roses, Flowers, and Shrubs.

Kate

• bart_2010
    11 years ago

Better yet, just use copper spray or Bordeaux mixture. It's perfectly effective and isn't poison; farmers have always used it. bart

• dmoore66_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The are all bare rooted hybrid teas I planted a month ago. There are 18 of them!

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    11 years ago

Yes, Hybrid Teas do much better when sprayed regularly with a systemic fungicide like Bayer Advanced disease control. They have a genetic susceptibility to Black Spot.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    11 years ago

Thanks. I concur with what michaelg said. As soon as they start leafing out, start spraying with Bayer Advanced Disease Control for Roses, Flowers, and Shrubs (tebuconazole). You should be able to find it at Lowes, if not, you can order online and have it delivered to your nearest store. You'll apply every two weeks. By starting early, you will be able to control any outbreaks of blackspot. Good luck, and let us know how they are doing!

• spiderlily7
    11 years ago

Dmoore66, if you'd prefer to grow roses without spraying, you can do a search of Gardenweb using the Frequently Asked Questions and you'll see lots of suggestions for cultivars that do fine without it. There are also discussions of ways to control disease that are least harmful to beneficial insects, like bees.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    11 years ago

Tebuconazole is a fungicide, not an insecticide, and there is no indication that it had done any harm to bees.

dmoore66, if you are interested in disease resistant varieties, send me an e-mail.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    11 years ago

We have plenty of bees in our yard all season despite an spray program good enough for rose exhibiting. Such a contrast to our first year of gardening, in which we used the Ortho All in One and wiped out the insect population.

• spiderlily7
    11 years ago

Yes, diane__nj is correct, tebuconazole has not been identified as harmful to bees--there are other sprays that are--though tebuconazole is listed as a "slight risk" class C possible human carcinogen and potential endocrine disruptor. You'll want to be careful with whatever you spray and check out the risks of products to yourself and your surroundings. Me, I take the route of least resistance and plant cultivars I don't have to spray :-)