Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Yet another yellow leaves question please with pics

kentstar
10 years ago

This is my Livin Easy rose I've had planted now for a couple of years. The rose did great this spring with loads of new leaves and now has loads of buds, but...

now the leaves are yellowing and falling off! It seems to be centered in the "interior" regions of the bush from bottom to mid range.

The rose is on the northern side of my house but gets plenty of sun all day from about 10 am till about 6 or 7 pm.

I did fertilize it this spring with about 2 tbsp. of soil acidifier, a cup of bloodmeal, and a cup of muriate of potash (would have rather had potassium sulfate but couldn't find any). I did have a soil test done last year that indicated the need for potash.

Last week I did spray with just Bayer Disease control (not the 3 in 1 or 2 in 1).

It has been hot here with temps in the mid 80's so I have been keeping it watered via hose, but maybe not enough?

I am clueless as to why a perfectly healthy looking rose would start doing this.

Comments (8)

• kentstar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another couple of pics...

• kentstar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry about any blur!

This post was edited by kentstar on Wed, May 22, 13 at 12:29

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Often roses pull the plug on unproductive interior leaves that don't get sunlight. Also you may have leaves that overwintered or came out too early and got slightly damaged by cold. These normally die around mid-spring. These cruddy old leaves often get fungal spots because the plant is not trying to protect them.

A second thought, if they are all stemming from a single cane, there is something wrong with the cane.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks michealg! We did have a couple of days of a freeze warning a couple weeks ago. I never thought of that. Hmmm.. could be freeze damage.

I will look closer at the canes tomorrow when I am off too and see if there is any cane problem but I think it may be freeze damage.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I think Michael has nailed it. Check the cane for cold damage. In the center picture I do think I see a cane that looks very dark and may have some freeze damage. Otherwise it's just shedding unwanted leaves.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I took a closer look as best I could at my rose and didn't see any damaged canes, and I also noticed as I walked around the garden that all my roses seem to be doing this to some degree. Now, I don't have but 5 roses (small yard) but all of them are, and nothing else, no other perennials, annuals etc. In my other garden bed where the rest of the roses are, they are doing this with just a few leaves here and there. It doesn't seem to be concentrated near the bottom or top but throughout the interiors of the bushes.
    I've got William Baffin, Westerland, Livin Easy, Pretty Jessica, and a mini rose Sleeping Beauty.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Hi Kentstar,

Just wondering how your Livin Easy is doing in Ohio?
    I yanked the LE I had out as it was not disease resistant at all here... Leaves all fell off... :(
    I yanked out Outta The Blue also for same reason...
    Since we are probably only 5-6 hrs away from each other I was just sitting here wondering..lol

• greentiger87
    9 years ago

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I've had this same problem with Livin Easy. It did beautifully the first few years I had it, but the last three years has gotten inexplicably yellow leaves that don't match any disease or nutrient deficiency I can find. Still flowers like crazy though, just the bush as a whole looks a little ugly.