Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any thoughts on DA Jubilee Celebration?

Posted by Kippy-the-Hippy 10 Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 12:26

While looking at a nursery yesterday I came across a few David Austin Jubilee Celebrations on half price sale, for $20 I could not say no..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any thoughts on DA Jubilee Celebration?

Only been in the gardens here for about 3 months, planted as bare roots in February. Great rose so far. The flowers are so beautiful. I like it a lot. Hope it works well for you too.

o

It is a very good rose here, lovely regular flushes of bloom and relatively healthy. Still a short bush (2 feet) in its second year. The flowers are a beautiful unusual blend of apricot/orange/pink and the fragrance is very strong and a bit unusual for DAs, a mix of their fruity and myrrh scents, which is quite nice. Its a winner

o

I've had Jubilee Celebration for 5-6 years now, and it has never been a vigorous plant. In fact, it is rather wimpy. The catalog says it will grow to about 4 ft (if I remember correctly)--mine just barely passed the 3 ft mark after 4-5 years and isn't much over it even now. In other words, it stayed around 2 ft for its first three years and has struggled to get much over that in the last year or two.

It also isn't as disease-resistant as I would have wished--but maybe that has something to do with its overall wimpishness. It just is not a strong, thriving, healthy plant.

That said, I won't get rid of it. The blooms are so full and lovely. Just a couple weeks ago I supplied a very big rose bouquet for a retirement reception at work. Had as many different roses stuck in there as I could squeeze in--which includes at least 5 or 6 different David Austins. The only rose the guests repeatedly asked me about was Jubilee Celebration. They thought that blend of pink/apricot/salmon/yellow was the most beautiful color combination they had ever seen. She was definitely the star of the collection.

I hope your JC has more vigor and disease-resistance than mine does cuz it is such a lovely rose. Good luck.

Kate

o

I have 4 of them. While 2 of them are smallish, the other two are 3-4 feet high and well branched and bushy. They bloom in relatively alot in flushes. They are my second best to Christopher Marlowe. BTW, mine are own root and I had them for 5-6 years.

FJ

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 19, 12 at 13:57

Here it blooms constantly. Foliage is somewhat sparse, growth habit somewhat open to about 3x3'; planting in a triangle of 3 for better shrubbiness would improve landscape appearance. It does not like reflected heat or too much heat in general. It should do well in 24. Pretty good fragrance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here