Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kinglemuelswife

The very best roses for cutting

kinglemuelswife
16 years ago

I grow most of my garden in order to cut it for bouquets, and so I'm interested to see what your experience has been with the best roses for cutting. It would be nice if I could have reblooming roses, on nice bushes that are also great for cutting, but if that's not possible, then just the ones that are best for cutting in your experience would be great!

Thanks.

Comments (16)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    16 years ago

Julia Child, Abraham Darby (great fragrance in the house), Teasing Georgia, Wild Blue Yonder (love the color), Our Lady of Guadalupe, Bishop's Castle (great fragrance, beautiful). These are all good reblooming garden roses too.

Ingrid

• bettyn_gardener
    16 years ago

I love Evelyn for fragrance. For long vase life, Sally Holmes can't be beat.

BettyN

• triple_b
    16 years ago

I just got PJPII as a Mother's Day gift yesterday. (Hubby turned me loose at the garden center). I am looking forward to the blooms.

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

Marilyn Monroe, Black Magic, Ingrid Bergman, and Peace are my favorites for cutting.

• liane_z4_canada
    16 years ago

Nice ones are Folkore, Perfect Moment, Osiana (florist rose does well in the garden and very fragrant), Maid of Honor, Leizauber (not positive on the spelling), Imperatice Farah (a bit strange but very longlasting). Pascali produces small but perfect white roses, Lady X produces a pile of rather plain mauve roses, great as a mix in a bouquet, I got a second just because it was a fantastic and prolific bloomer. For a nice Fragrance but not as long lasting are Alec's Red, Double Delight, Blue Nyle (blooms would blow fast but much better after it is estabished).
    I have a just started to use Day Breaker, it is a big producer given that it is a floribunda but given that the shape is like a hybrid tea. The roses don't last that long but are so many that I can just go get another stem.
    Hope this helps,
    I have posted many of these in Hortiplex if you have the time look them up.
    Liane

Here is a link that might be useful: http://hortiplex.gardenweb.com/plants/p1/gw1046070.html

• aurora1701e
    16 years ago

Kardinal and Black Magic. Both are red (Black Magic much darker) and last at least 7-10 days in the vase if not more.

Jeff

• michaelalreadytaken
    16 years ago

Mister Lincoln is renowned for his ability to open even when cut still tightly budded.

I've always been grateful that this gem of information was passed along to me and am happy to share it again.

Fragrance, beauty, longevity in the vase, compliments.

He's perfect.

M

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

my favorites for cutting have always been St. Patrick because I love how it opens up from a slightly green-tinted bud to a full-blown yellow rose and smells wonderful, and Black Magic, since that's one of the deep red roses that often comes in florists bouquets, as well as Brandy (a peach color and so pretty in a vase and lasts a long time, even after fully opened.) Double Delight is amazing for it's incredible spicy scent and gorgeous color and Fragrant Plum is such a lovely shade of purple and it has a delicious scent. I try to cut my roses not just for longevity, but for amazing scents, too.

• kinglemuelswife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've made a list, and I'll be looking them all up on HelpMeFind. Double Delight seems to be popping up a lot on many forums as a good all-around rose. I gave mine away since it seemed so prone to BS, constantly defoliated and meagre with blooms. Perhaps it was something I was doing wrong, and now I wish I had kept it. The other one that keeps popping up is Abe Darby. I've heard about Peace, but wondered how many blooms I can get off of one bush. Would I have to plant a few of them to cut a decent bouquet? Can anyone recommend Austin's "Queen of Sweden"?

• rosalita
    16 years ago

I have both Peace and DD and love them but do keep in mind that you definitely need to spray for BS with these two as they need it all the time. But my Climbing Peace has amazing blooms - just huge and lasts a long time in the vase while DD smells so divine you just have to have it. Secret has had a good vase life for me and it's a beautiful rose with scent.

• carla17
    16 years ago

Lemon Spice and Peter Mayle are both fragrant and good for cutting.

Carla

• rosetom
    16 years ago

Mister Lincoln - noted above
    Queen Elizabeth - 3 ft stems are common on a well-kept bush
    Brides Dream - very light pink, great stem lengths
    Bewitched - best pure pink long-stemmed rose, IMHO.
    Gold Medal - clustering can be an issue, but very long stems
    Touch of Class - another great stem length
    Fragrant Plum - clustering can be an issue, but great stem length.
    Liebeszauber - super productive, most red roses suitable for cutting of any red I have.

Many others have already been mentioned ...

• daun
    16 years ago

Perfect Moment
    {{gwi:269359}}

Ronald Reagan
    {{gwi:269360}}

Oregold
    {{gwi:269361}}

Love & Peace
    {{gwi:269362}}

• cjrosaphile
    16 years ago

Veteran's Honor has the most beautiful and longest lasting blooms of any of my roses (50+). And it smells good, too! The shrub is tall and gangly unfortunately with some disease issues. To me, it is worth it though.

Braveheart is my second longest lasting cut rose. I take the blooms and float them in a red cut crystal glass. Gorgeous, but no smell. With this one I don't mind.
    Good luck, CJ

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Found this thread too late, I returned Gold Medal (bare-root for $10) to the store since I wasn't sure about its scent. That's OK, Crown Princess Mag and W.S. 2000 last very long in the vase, up to 5 days: