Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsarerathersilly

Is this some sort of disease?

Back in April I recieved a rose order containing 8 roses. All the roses looked reasonably healthy, though obviously stressed from shipping; they were all own-root bands. Most had two canes, though a few had only one and Neptune was one of the one-cane plants. I wasn't worried about the single cane, however I did notice this odd bark-like growth on the plant. I figured it was probably just a cutting made from older wood and when the bush put out new canes I could clip this one off. Fastforward a month and all my roses are doing marvelously. I let them grow about 3 weeks before I thinned out their branches/leaves so they didn't grow into each other and so they could breathe better. Neptune has not put out new canes and the bark-like substance does not seem to be growing into the new branches. It did put out a bud. It seems to be healthy as it puts out more leaves than my other roses (I've had to thin it twice, as the leaves were killing each other from lack of airflow), but I find myself more and more concerned about the "bark". Any ideas on what it is? Should I dig it up and ask the nursery for a replacement?

Comments (9)