Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessicabe_gw

Anyone grow Tropicana?

JessicaBe
9 years ago

My sister in law gave me Tropicana as a house warming gift and I would like to know how she acts :-) and what she likes and doesn't.

Thank you!

Comments (9)

• sc_gardener
    9 years ago

I have this, but this winter may have killed it. Not a no spray rose. But pretty healthy (for a hybrid tea) and hardy. Not the most prolific, but maybe I did not feed it enough. I love it and like the fragrance.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Tropicana has been a good rose for me, at certain times the blooms can be lovely. Mine is not overly prolific, but it is a dependable bloomer and has been disease resistant. Most people around here don't grow roses, other than Knockouts, but if they have a hybrid tea it is usually a Tropicana.

• andreark
    9 years ago

My mother had a Tropicana when I was in high school. (a few centuries ago) I was so crazy about the flower that she found a rose print fabric that looked exactly like Tropicana and made a prom dress for me from it. I just knew that I was hot stuff!

Thanks for reminding me of that occasion,

andreark

• elks
    9 years ago

An excellent rose in these parts (South-Western Ontario).

Plant it 2" below grade. It is relatively disease free, but will likely get a little white mildew in the fall on the newer tips.

Enjoy the fragrant orange blooms.

A keeper,

Steve

• socks
    9 years ago

Lots of people like it. I hope this rose does well for you and makes you happy, especially since it's such a thoughtful gift.

It has not been the best for me, being plagued with a thick white mildew most of the time. I hacked the bush to the ground, and it has grown back healthier and will less mildew. I'm in So. CA. (I don't spray.)

Good luck.

• JessicaBe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so so very much for all of your responses! She is in a pot right now until I get the new bed made then she will be planted. I will post photos as she grows :-)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

My Tropicanas have looked especially lovely this spring.

• DNTQuilter
    9 years ago

My Tropicana took a hard hit this winter, but is bouncing back. Only problem I have is powdery mildew every so often.