Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone grow Tropicana?

Posted by JessicaBe 5-6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 12:37

My sister in law gave me Tropicana as a house warming gift and I would like to know how she acts :-) and what she likes and doesn't.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone grow Tropicana?

I have had Tropicana for over 20yr. She blackspots a bit for me, but I spray. Notice my zone. I like her form and color and make sure she is happy. She lacked for care the last couple years, because of broken hip (me). Got her scooting along this spring so far, after a good pruning. As long as she wants to live with me, I will surely keep her. Good luck!

o

I have this, but this winter may have killed it. Not a no spray rose. But pretty healthy (for a hybrid tea) and hardy. Not the most prolific, but maybe I did not feed it enough. I love it and like the fragrance.

o

Tropicana has been a good rose for me, at certain times the blooms can be lovely. Mine is not overly prolific, but it is a dependable bloomer and has been disease resistant. Most people around here don't grow roses, other than Knockouts, but if they have a hybrid tea it is usually a Tropicana.

o

My mother had a Tropicana when I was in high school. (a few centuries ago) I was so crazy about the flower that she found a rose print fabric that looked exactly like Tropicana and made a prom dress for me from it. I just knew that I was hot stuff!

Thanks for reminding me of that occasion,

andreark

o

• Posted by elks US5 Can6 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 14 at 18:54

An excellent rose in these parts (South-Western Ontario).

Plant it 2" below grade. It is relatively disease free, but will likely get a little white mildew in the fall on the newer tips.

Enjoy the fragrant orange blooms.

A keeper,

Steve

o

Lots of people like it. I hope this rose does well for you and makes you happy, especially since it's such a thoughtful gift.

It has not been the best for me, being plagued with a thick white mildew most of the time. I hacked the bush to the ground, and it has grown back healthier and will less mildew. I'm in So. CA. (I don't spray.)

Good luck.

o

Thank you so so very much for all of your responses! She is in a pot right now until I get the new bed made then she will be planted. I will post photos as she grows :-)

o

My Tropicanas have looked especially lovely this spring.

o

My Tropicana took a hard hit this winter, but is bouncing back. Only problem I have is powdery mildew every so often.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here