Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasminerose4u

What to do with Climbing rose cane?

I know I'm supposed to train climbing rose canes horizontally. But the strongest, thickest cane of my Night Owl climbing rose is facing away from the trellis. Should I let it grow longer and bend it towards the trellis? I almost want to turn this rose around. It's a young rose. I've only had it since last October.

Thank you

This post was edited by jasminerose4u on Sat, May 17, 14 at 12:47

Comments (9)

• roseseek
    9 years ago

I wouldn't move the plant, Bonnie. You'd set it back too much in this heat and drought. Yes, you can begin "worrying" it back toward the trellis. Just go gently so you don't kink or break it. Eventually it will make it back there. Once the other canes begin putting out their growth, you can even probably prune this one off and let the others fill in for it. Until then, I'd just use it for the food production to help push the others along.

Of course, you COULD prune it off in hopes of pushing the others to grow faster, but you'd lose the food production those leaves are providing. Either will likely work. Kim

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

What Kim said.

Jackie

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Kim and Jackie for seconding. I took used some flexible tie to encourage the cane towards the trellis.

By the way, I counted twenty-four thorns on the cane and Night Owl is supposed to be a nearly thornless rose! Still, it is doing well in the heat, so I am happy with it. I'm still waiting for it to bloom. Hope your roses are doing okay in this heat.

This post was edited by jasminerose4u on Sat, May 17, 14 at 14:17

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I would suggest moving the trellis a bit closer to the rose as well. Does not look like a lot of room to reach back there with thorny canes to avoid.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes. I learned that the hard way. Ouch! That is what inspired me to count the number of thorns on the cane.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

As stated you want to start moving it toward the trellis earlier rather than later. As the canes age they'll probably get stiffer and it will be hard to get them to bend. Keep moving them as they grow out and are flexible. I learned this the hard way when I waited and ended up snapping off a large cane on one of my climbers that had matured and just didn't have any give left in it. Now I tie them off early. Sometimes they look a little funny because they aren't very tall yet but in the end it works out.

Your trellis is lovely but do move it out from the wall so you have some working space behind it. It will also give the rose better air circulation. You and the rose will be happier.

Original Author
    9 years ago

The reason why the trellis is so close to the wooden wall is because I secured it at the top with U shaped nails. I suppose I could go to the hardware store to see what they have to extend the trellis away from the wall. I'm not quite sure what to look for.

• jaspermplants
    9 years ago

I would leave the trellis where it is (doesn't look too close to me) and I'd put a small stake (like a bamboo one, you can find them at Home Depot,etc) next to the rose, leaning to the trellis. Then I'd tie the cane on that and train it towards the trellis. When it finally reaches the trellis, you can take out the stake.

I have trellis' everywhere in my yard and do this kind of thing all the time.

Good luck!

Original Author
    9 years ago