Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A random white stripe??

Posted by northtexasdude 7b (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 12:41

Ever had a random white stripe on a rose that is supposed to be solid? Ever not be able to decent a fragrance on a rose that is supposed to be very fragrant?
I know the absence of fragrance is common, as Cl. America has no smell to me. Below is my Mirandy, which may very well turn out to be the 4th misabeled body bag of this season for me. I have never had a solid rose produce a few white stipes here and there. What do you think?
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A random white stripe??

Finding a white "stripe" on a red rose is very common. It's supposed to be a genetic fault inherited from a common ancestor and often promoted as "proof" they are all descended from that rose. Fragrance is so elusive for so many reasons, it's probably more common than not. Weather conditions, individual olfactories, potential degenerative sports...and more, can lead to the inability to either temporarily or permanently detect and identify fragrances. Kim

o

The stripe is quite common on some solid colored ht's It comes from the parentage of the plant. I have an Elizabeth Taylor with the same problem.

o

Electron is solid, screeching hot pink. Here's a pic from 2010 when it had 1 petal with a bright white stripe down the middle:

Electron, May 14 2010

o
arrrgghhhhhhhh

Apologies. My eyes are now bleeding since that photo did not resize smaller.

o

well i learn something new with roses every day! I had no idea about the stripe. thank you!
here's to hoping that I eventually detect a fragrance with Mirandy!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, May 2, 12 at 22:15

A lot of roses get that streak. Sometimes it's white but on white or pale colors it can be green. My Pope John Paul II gets the green stripe all the time. Folklore's is green and white all the time.

Flori, I don't know what you mean, lol! That rose is gorgeous!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here