Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

Need hardy yellow, red and lavender HT-Zone 5

I'm looking for a hardy, disease resistant HT or Floribunda in yellow, red and lavender that blooms regularly. I have a couple pretty old English roses (David Austin-Heritage & Fair Bianca). I do not want a rose bush that takes up that much room though. I only have a certain amount of space to put it in. If I would have known better back when I planted our David Austins (about 10 years or so ago)--I would have planted them in another place--not in the row of 12 bushes. They tend (especially the Heritage) to want to hang into the Tropicana next to it. I believe it is a Tropicana. It is very orange with a small amount of yellow in the center. When it fades out, it almost takes on a pale cantaloupe coloring. Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I have a Nacodoches and the yellow color is gorgeous. I am in zone 8 in SE Tx and it has had no disease and blooms like crazy. It is 3 years old and is one of my favorite roses.

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll have to look it up cuz Texas is no Wisconsin when it comes to the frigid cold & snow.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Berolina is a pleasing yellow HT that is hardy to Zone 5 and very disease-resistant. I was just admiring it a little while ago in my garden--brightens up that part of the garden without any gaudiness or brassiness. Very pleasant! The blooms start out a bit subdued, but the longer they are open, the bigger and bigger they get and the more attention they solicit. Supposedly Berolina grows 7 ft tall, but I give it a strong pruning in the spring--it's blooming at about 3 ft right now--and, after the blooms fade away, trim each cane back like I was picking a long-stemmed rose. Berolina is available at the Canadian nursery Palatine.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Berolina at helpmefind.com

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thing is, I can't have it wider than a foot or it will start doing what the Heritage does--trying to grow into the other rose bushes on each side of it.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Julia Child has been VERY hardy for me and survived this past frigid winter in the ground totally unprotected. It's also very healthy and blooms a LOT!

My only red that survived was Oklahoma in the ground but it spots pretty bad for me. Veterans' Honor was lovely and did winter for several years in a pot but didn't make this last winter. It also spots quite a bit. Crimson Bouquet was also gorgeous and a great bloomer. It survived it's first winter but didn't survive this one so I don't know. It's so hard to say because last winter just wasn't normal.

I'm not sure about the hardiness of Love Song because my potted one from last year didn't make it through the polar vortex. But it was so gorgeous and healthy and bloomed so much last season that I did replace it. I hope last winter was just an aberration and it will survive a normal MI winter. Fingers crossed!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

I just got Love Song. Poseidon is suppose to be a good one.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Berolina is upright and narrow.

Kate

• michaelg
    9 years ago

"Can't have it wider than a foot"--this is nearly impossible for a HT rose. Why don't you leave a blank and let the adjacent roses fill out? Then you can expand the bed.

Yellow and mauve HTs that are even partially cane hardy in Z5 are few to none. I'm not familiar with Berolina. On another thread, Cynthia recommended Lagerfeld (mauve).

I suggest Griffith Buck roses that were bred for Z4 Iowa. Distant Drums is mauve with an ochre center. It will survive with some annual cane damage. Prairie Harvest is pale yellow with hybrid tea form, good hardiness and disease resistance. Flowers do not last as long as average HT, but this is an excellent rose.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Michael, I think the smaller bushes might be almost 1 1/2" wide. One I believe is a Gemini (beautiful peachy pink with some salmon color in it). It did beautiful for years, last year it looked dead. I was told to dig it out. I waited. It was one of my most beautiful bushes. Glad I waited. This year--told to dig it out. Now in the last week--I see some growth on the bottom. I will wait. The other bushes that are smaller width wise--I don't even know what they are. One is orange with a yellowy center. When it fades out, it almost turns a cantaloupe color. A friend bought it for me, so I don't know the name. The other smaller bushes were there when we bought the house--(red), don't know what they are. The orange ones grow about 2 feet tall, red ones grow 3-4 feet tall. The blank space that is noticeable is between the smaller red &orange bush because they never seem to get any wider to fill in the space. Years ago, I tried two lavender bushes---gorgeous and very healthy for as long as they lived. Yet, they only lived about 4 years, so I gave up on the lavender even though they were gorgeous to look at, healthy while they lived & held up in a vase for a long time. That's why I'm tempted.....but if they are not good (even the yellow) in Zone 5--I need to stick with what is excellent in Zone 5. I think I will dig out the David Austin Othello. Half the bush is dead cane with thorns big enough to take a hand off, the other half is a lot of foliage. That bush I've been tempted over the years to dig it out, but I have this "thing" about killing living things; yet it blooms maybe 5 roses once or twice all season. Someone talked me into this one..... Arghhhh? Sad to say, but this is the one I did not protect with a collar this winter. I just threw some mulch around it. First off, a collar would not fit & ran out of collars. Hoped it would succumb to the weather.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

In a small garden, I wouldn't give yard room to 'Othello'.

'Distant Drums' isn't a big plant and might be stuffed into your gap.

• the_morden_man
    9 years ago

Yellow- Golden Fairy Tale (Sterntaler)

Lavender- Poseidon

Red- Grand Amore, Black Forest Rose

• sandandsun
    9 years ago

My two cents:

If the_morden_man affirms it, then so far - to date, I am convinced of the truth of it.

Or to say it another way, I believe that a recommendation from the_morden_man for cold zones is a recommendation that is very difficult to top.

Of course, this is ONLY true if one wants roses that work hard. There are countless roses that will do if one wants roses that require hard work.

And lastly, as I ALWAYS say, one must be willing to wait three years before judging.