Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunflowersrus222

Not sure if my Rose bush is dead or not

sunflowersrus222
10 years ago

A few weeks ago I moved a big rose bush. We had it growing for years along a fence but the neighbor always reaches over and hacks off the top of my rose bush even with the top of the fence. I've asked many times that he leave my plants alone. its on our property and not in his yard but he would continue to reach over and hack it straight and level with the top of the fence. Guess he doesn't like roses. So this year before he came back up from his winter home in Florida my husband and I decided to just move it before they return and have a chance to hack it down again. Now I've transplanted many roses bushes in my day and never had a problem till now. All of the leaves on this rose bush have all turned brown. The stems are all still green but thats about it. My friends have told me to give it a year. That it likely went into shock and will probably come back next year. Anyone have a rose bush do this? This bush is a climbing rose bush by the way. I can't recall the name of it but it has the most beautiful large pale yellow blooms with pink tips that I've ever seen. I had hoped that moving it would save it from my tyrant of a neighbor but now worried I may have been its undoing. Any suggestions or experience with this? If so did the rose bush come back ? This rose bush always bloomed from early spring till late fall and even had a bloom or 2 during a snow fall after thanksgiving. By far my favorite rose bush.

This post was edited by sunflowersrus222 on Thu, May 30, 13 at 13:15

Comments (11)

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

Did you prune it back before transplanting it? A good recommendation is to remove 1/3 to 1/2 of the plant when transplanting as you will probably lose that much root in the move.

It is likely in transplant shock, its dropping leaves because it doesn't have the roots to support them at the moment. I would imagine it will come out fine, roses are tougher then we like to think sometimes. If you didn't cut it back, I would go ahead and do so to take some pressure off the roots.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

If the stems are still green, it lives.

It's just had one h*lluva shock, and when that happens, the leaves are frequently lost. I would make sure it has plenty of water (not soggy, of course, but if the weather's hot, it may need some water every day).

We did this some years ago ourselves, and lost a chunk of the root ball in the process. We figured the plant was probably a gonner.

The next day without warning the heat spiked to 95 deg., and remained there for 3 days. We did water daily through that period. The rose recovered in short order and grew like crazy.

Jeri

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I pruned it down and cut off any dead branches prior to moving it. My husband even said we probably lost some of the root ball when we moved it. I dug a very large area around it to make sure I got as much of the root as possible. I have been watering it especially after we moved it. Lately we've had a lot of rain and now it is suddenly hot. (in the 90's for few days) First heat wave of the year. I've been trying to find a photo of the booms so I can find out what kind of rose bush it is. It just has such beautiful large blooms I hate to lose it. Thanks for your help everyone. I'll continue to baby it a bit and hopefully it will come back next year. My tyrant neighbor insists its dead and wants says I should just get rid of it. HECK NO!! I'll hold out hope on this one. Thanks again!

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Generally, if you have a six foot cane, there is a corresponding six foot root. That should give you an idea of the mass of root system you weren't able to take with the plant. I've heard good success with covering the plant with a light colored bed sheet (or other light colored, white preferably, so it doesn't over heat and gets the light rays it requires) and keeping the sheet damp with the hose. That will help reduce some of the water stress on the plant while it re establishes itself and is easier to do than burying it under soil until it pushes new growth. You can lift the sheet periodically to see if any new growth is beginning. Once it does, you can begin uncovering the plant slowly so you gradually harden off any new growth to the stronger light, greater heat and drier conditions outside of the damp sheet. Definitely keeping that plant well watered until it shows you it's growing is the order of the day.

As Jeri said, as long as the green canes remain green and don't look shriveled, the plant is still completely viable and worth the efforts you wish to make on its behalf. Don't you LOVE folks who MUST bend Nature to their wills? Who says plants have to be kept hacked to the fence level, anyway? Good luck! Kim

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I have to admit -- I'm with King Cobb -- I'd have been mighty tempted to do something dreadful to that obnoxious neighbor.

Jeri

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I definitely think you were too kind to that neighbor. And now he insists you should get rid of it? Of all the nerve! But I do understand what you're going through. My neighbor likes to trim his hedge and then push all the clippings over the top into my yard so he doesn't have to clean them up! It's a good 5 feet wide and into my yard now so I'm slowly cutting it back at the base to push it back his way. Ah, the joys of suburban living, lol!

Your rose is just in shock. Give it the TLC recommended here and it should come back for you just fine. And my bet is that you won't have to wait until next year either. It will bloom later this year! When it does post pictures of the buds, blooms, leaves and plant and we'll help you get that ID.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I would have made the fence higher, just the section where that rose was. That would have gotten his goat!

• merlcat
    10 years ago

LOL! Hoovb, I love this! Excellent idea! :)

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yeah this neighbor is a real pain. Thankfully they are talking about selling and staying in Florida. Can't wait!! This particular rose bush lived through hurricane Sandy. The fence fell into our yard and flattened that rose bush. I was surprised it was fine after we lifted the fence off of it, raised the rose bush back up and tied it back up. This rose bush has grown over 10' tall. It has very thick stalks that are about an inch or more in diameter and 2 inches lower on the bush. I remember when I bought it that the info on the tag said it would grow up to 20'. Our neighbor never lets it get any higher than the 8' fence that separates our yards. At least not when he's home he doesn't. THing is it doesn't grow over into his yard. I have it tied so that it wouldn't. Just because I know how the guy is. He purposely plants vines along the fence so they will grow through and strangle my plants. I have to constantly cut back all of his ivy and climatis or else my bushes and such get strangled. Well hopefully in less than 2 years we'll have new neighbors and won't have to deal with this OCD guy. And yes we have thought of putting weeds over into his yard. As it is when he finds weeds he has actually asked me, while holding them in the air, is this yours? I reply by saying... you found it in your yard so no its not mine! Some people!! Oh and he ripped out my flowers from my front yard because he thought they were weeds. Mothers day I went outside and all of my flowers were gone He said oh I thought they were weeds!. I burst into tears and said would you please keep your hands off my property and mind your own yard and your own business for ONCE!!!

• deervssteve
    10 years ago

prune, b1, and a lot of water.