Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobby_c

A climbing rose in a shady spot?

bobby_c
14 years ago

Hi,

I have a tall fence (8') that runs north and south, on the east side I'm building a raised bed, it is 4 x 13': [IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/bclasen/Misc/raised_bed1.jpg[/IMG]

Because of nearby trees, this area gets around 40% sun, it is mostly mid day sun. In the design forum someone suggseted I plant a climbing rose along the back fence - sounds great! Any suggestions, I don't know rose? I could put up a trellis and I would prefer a colorful, multi-blooming variety that isn't bushy, I'd rather it run along the fence (I could put in several). Then I would plant something shorter in front of the roses.

Thanks!

Bob

Comments (6)

• bobby_c
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whoops, link didn't work....

{{gwi:32428}}

• kentstar
    14 years ago

Check out ashdownroses.com video on planting roses in shade. Might give you some ideas, too. Maybe Rosie Purple rose. I've even heard Polestar is tolerant of shade, but it is a lovely white rose.

• bobby_c
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on the videos, those are great, especially for someone like me who has no rose experience.

What I'm thinking is I'd like to have a rose trellis or something along the back along the fence. Then I'd plant something in from, like daylilies. So any ideas on what to do? I'm thinking of a couple of different options:

1. Plant 2 or 3 climbing roses spread across the back of the bed and have a fan type of trellis to support them. I have 13' to play with, so maybe more plants or fewer?

2. I could easily put up a horizontal wire fence along the wood fence and use that to train roses along. I could do several ros that way, heck, I can go up to 8' high (that's what the fence is).

Any feedback on that?

Thanks again,
    Bob

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

Bob

I would sugggest going with option 2, this would give you a lot more growing area. I would build some type of frame so the wore fencing if off the wood fence a little. This will make it easier to tie the canes up on it. I am going to do the same type thing on my fence this year.

Make sure view the video on how to grow a rose on a trellis, this way you will get max blooms. Speaking of shade tolernt roses, many of the good online vendors (like Ashdown Roses) have a search or special catagory for shade tolerant roses. Another good place to search is HelpMeFind/roses.

Liz

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

I have found New Dawn to do very well in the shade----Lavender Lassie is a hybrid musk that is also doing well in my shady yard.

Florence

• kentstar
    14 years ago

I would say no more than 2 climbing roses, because you have to consider the ultimate spread of them. What would their mature spread be?
    As far as the trellises go, which way would be easier to tie them to train?
    Also, since the area only gets 40% sun midday, I don't know that you want the roses so close to the fence. Roses need some air circulation, and for drying off the leaves so they don't black spot. Will it be easier to prune if they are towards the front of the bed versus the back?
    I have some lower growing perennials planted in front of my roses. I know you are in a different zone, so I don't know if these will work for you. I have myosotis sylvatica (Forget-me-nots) which like some shade, campanula's, and sweet william dianthus planted in front and around the bed.
    My roses were just planted too, this week! So, I have a long way to go to get them where I want them. I also have clematis planted there. I think daylilies would work fine there. They might not flower as heavily because of the limited sun though. How about some hosta's? Here are some other options, amsonia's, ajuga, brunnera's, echinacea, geraniums. Garden Crossings is a great place to look. I bought some plants there this spring, and I have never seen healthier plants! Dave's Watchdog lists them as their top 30 places too.

Here's a pic of my new rose bed waiting to burst :)
    {{gwi:269921}}