Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is my rose bush not blooming? :o(

Posted by arabianqueen69 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 08 at 13:02

I bought my house a couple of years ago and the lady that live there before me already had a very nice garden. It's mostly a shaded area with a few spots that gets sun where the branches of the trees don't cover. This sunnier area is where she planted a few different rose bushes, i don't know anything about roses other than they are pretty and i can tell if it's a climbing rose bush. The climbing rose bush she planted hasn't bloomed since i've lived there, last year it had one small bloom that didn't really even open up before it died. Last fall i cut the bush down to about a foot above the ground a suggestion my grandmother gave me, this year it's growing lots and lots of leaves and the stems are getting longer, but still no blooms at all, any suggestions on how i can get it to bloom will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is my rose bush not blooming? :o(

I suspect the rose bush it was purchased for has died and what is growing now is the root stock it was grafted onto.
This root stock is a once a year blooming rose that only blooms on second year wood. The flower buds on these types of roses are formed the previous fall
The fact that you cut it back means you cut off any canes that would have produced blooms this year. In zone 5 we often experience a lot of winter dieback that kills any canes that might have produced flowers.
It could also be an old garden rose which also only blooms on year old wood. Either way by cutting it back you've removed any flower buds.
My advice would be to remove the bush and replace it with a repeat blooming hardy shrub rose or one that you don't mind having to provide some winter protection. These bloom on new wood and even if they dieback or are cut back, they'll bloom.

o

thanks you for your response Rosenut.....i'm sad i killed my blooms and didn't even realize that's what i was doing, i was trying to help it. so if this fall i don't cut it back next year i should have blooms, is am i understanding that right??? Thanks

o

Yes, and if it doesn't get damaged by winter's cold. That depends on how hardy the bush is. If the bush has no sentimental value to you, I'd remove it and replace it with a modern shrub rose or other modern variety that blooms on new wood. Even if it dies back, new growth will produce flowers.
Depending on a decent winter to have flowers each year that will bloom for a couple of weeks then just be green all summer may not be worth it.
With me having so many roses, a few bushes like that is not a problem. If I only had one or two roses and had to wait so long for flowers that lasted a couple of weeks with no repeat, I'd replace the bush.
Another factor, roses do best with at least 6 hours of sun daily. If the shaded area doesn't get that much it can affect flower production.

o

for the last two years or so my roses have bloomed great,this year only a few blooms and one rose bush no blooms at all. it sets in between the other two roses that did bloom.what do i need to amend the soil or what happend this year.

o

My rose bush grows very leggy and does not produce a flower. I have 2 other rose bushes next to it that are currently doing well with blossoms and buds ready to blossom. I give all (5) of my roses the same treatment with winter wrap-up and all but (1) produced flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here