Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulching around the rose bushes

Posted by nickjoseph none (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 14 at 13:13

I normally put down a layer of cedar shredded mulch around all my rose bushes. Then around December before bad freezing--I put my collars around the bushes & fill the collars with the existing mulch. Now in Spring, after I took the collars off, I gently raked all the old mulch off & disposed of. I've heard to wait to add new mulch til the roses start to get more foliage. So, should I be adding new mulch now or wait? Thanks.
Also, can anyone out there tell me what the most disease resistant hybrid teas are? I've pretty much stuck with those type of roses except for a few David Austin Old English. Love hybrid teas. Not crazy about the floridbundas. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulching around the rose bushes

It doesn't matter much. Leaving the ground exposed allows the soil to heat up on warm sunny days--or chill down during a cold spell.

I leave the old mulch and let it rot into the soil. Most people do. Applying a layer of new mulch helps suppress fungi.

You should put your state and climate zone into your signature. We can help more if we know whether it is cold enough to warrant the collars, and whether you are in a blackspot area or a rust/mildew area.

o

OK, I see on another thread you are in Wisconsin. A couple of HT-like roses that are hardier and more blackspot-resistant than most HTs are 'Earth Song' and 'Mother of Pearl.'

o

Thanks so much! Will be looking these two HTs up. I just did. Love, love, love the look of the Mother of Pearl. Not so crazy about the antique type roses which the Earth Song is. My favorite are what look like the long stem roses people get from a florist. Most of my HTs look like those. My favorite were the purple ones (can't think of the name off-hand), but two bushes did beautiful for about 4 years each, then died.

o

Michael, I think my zone is 5, although in Milwaukee, Wisconsin--it was a lot colder this past winter than a zone 5. So should I keep it a zone 5? Thanks!

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Wed, May 21, 14 at 18:45

I never dispose of our old mulch but let it rot into the ground. I just keep putting down new mulch over top of it when needed...

o

I used to just keep putting down new mulch over the old--but after years it wasn't completely rotting into the ground & it was nasty, so I raked it all off & started anew. Now, like I said, I use the mulch in the rose collars when I winterize.

o

You don't need to change your zone because of an atypical winter.

Another rose you might look at is 'Les Sjulin'. It is definitely high centered, but doesn't hold form as long as most HTs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here