Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellow knockout only blooms half way up

Posted by emily2002 8 (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 13:13

I have a yellow knockout that is several years old and has always performed as a knockout should. However, this year, it has buds and blooms half way up a bush that is about 7 feet tall and the top is green and healthy but no buds or blooms. I fertilized it as I did all my roses with 14-4-14 and none of them are doing this. I have around 600 roses but this has me baffled. Can anybody help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellow knockout only blooms half way up

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 4, 14 at 16:08

Usually the solution to blind shoots is to cut them back some and let them grow out again. The second time around they should put on buds. If you had a bad winter or any kind of odd weather during the spring growing season it could by why it put on so much blind growth.

o
RE: yellow knockout only blooms half way up

• Posted by AquaEyes 7 New Brunswick, NJ (My Page) on
    Sun, May 4, 14 at 23:17

I'm assuming the proper name is 'Sunny Knock Out'. I'm also assuming that you bought the rose as a grafted/budded plant. What may have happened is that a sucker of the rootstock (probably 'Dr. Huey') has grown, and that is the tall cane you're seeing with no flower buds. 'Dr. Huey' blooms on old wood, and naturally grows as a small climber. Look at your rose to see if the tall cane is coming from below the graft/bud union. If so, it needs to be removed.

:-)

~Christopher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here