Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
humble5zone9atx

Heart of gold and Sunset Celebration

humble5zone9atx
10 years ago

These two roses are the 2 biggest duds in my rose garden which is only one year old. Both are grafted and are from the local garden center.

Sunset Celebration was sad looking when I bought it late last summer and has stayed that way. It is diseased with bs and has not grown.

Heart of Gold is the opposite, it is 6ft tall, healthy but is very stingy with its blooms.

Should I give them more time? Am I doing something wrong? Both get lots of sun, water and fertilizer.

Yvette

Comments (12)

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I have Heart of Gold, but only my second year with it. It is tall and skinny and was very stingy with blooms last year. My roses are behind this year, as we have had an uncharacteristically cool spring. HoG hasn't bloomed yet, but is full of buds right now. Will have to see what it does once the heat really sets in. With roses, the old saying is mostly true: "first year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap". Roses sometimes take three to four years before they really settle in and start to perform well.

• humble5zone9atx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You convinced me to keep HoG another year but SC is awful, I'm surprised its still alive. I think I'll post a pic of it.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

Several years ago, I sp'd Sunset Celebration.

• humble5zone9atx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is SC, it looks awful

{{gwi:270593}}

{{gwi:270595}}

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I counted my buds on HoG last night when I got home from work. It has 30 at the moment...considering how skinny it is, not bad. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with SC, I've seen it at my local nursery and it was beautiful, but have never grown it. It does look sickly in your pics, but it really is amazing how resilient roses can be...you might give it another year to see if it starts to spring back. I've saved roses at the nursery late in the season that looked worse...took them a while to recover, but I've never lost one. With our high humidity here, I do have to stick to a biweekly spray schedule to keep disease and bugs at bay, though.

• DebB
    10 years ago

I agree that your Sunset Celebration doesn't look very good. Maybe if you started again with a sturdier plant? Or maybe just give it more time? My SC is a wonderful rose - a thick, full bush that is almost always in bloom. The spring flush this year resulted in at least 4 dozen blossoms! They don't have much of a scent, but the color is really lovely - apricot-orange with pinky tones as it ages, different from one day to the next.

• humble5zone9atx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pat, is you HoG grafted or own root?

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Mine is grafted...I'm guessing on Dr. Huey...I think that's what Weeks predominantly uses for root stock. I bought mine last spring from my nursery in a plantable pot, but removed it from the pot when I planted it...those pots can take years to disintegrate. It had a few blooms on it when I bought it and gave me a few more here and there. It has more buds on it now than it gave me total last year. If yours is own root, it could take longer to establish.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

For what it's worth, I don't think your Sunset Celebration looks that bad, particularly for a second year rose. There are a few dead canes that could use cutting out and it's definitely losing leaves to blackspot type effects, but odds are it'll pull out of it. Admittedly my expectations are relatively low from zone 5 for height, but it's easily as tall and wide as many of my mature second year roses and way taller than my current 2-year old Sunset Celebration which has just barely decided to survive and is a 2" high collection of leaves from the bare ground so far. I also admit to having a relatively high tolerance of black spot, since I don't spray.

It's up to you what to do from here. If blackspot bothers you particularly, this is a rose that will probably lose leaves unless you spray and you might be happier with something else. In my yard, I'd prune off the dead parts, give it some alfalfa hay to promote some more basal growth and lots of water through the hot parts of the summer, then grow some annuals around the bare spots surrounding the rose so I wouldn't notice the loss of lower leaves. It's actually a reasonably healthy rose to my eyes, all things considered, and it's liable to grow more healthy and strong in future years if you have the patience to wait it out. You're certainly not doing anything wrong as far as I can tell as far as SC goes. Still, if it bugs you, and there are other varieties you'd enjoy more with less work, shovel pruning (digging it out and giving it away) is always an option.

Cynthia

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

How is your Heart of Gold doing? Mine has been incredible this year! Had a really nice first flush this spring; took about a six week break and then had an even bigger second flush. It hasn't been without blooms since. Granted, we've had a really wet and mild summer. Temps have been in the upper 80's almost as often as the upper 90's this year and no triple digits at all so far...so I still don't know how it will do in our normally very hot summers. It's been a blooming fool this year, though, and the blooms last forever on the bush. Blooms are usually heavier up top, but it does have flowers and foliage all the way to the ground. The Japanese beetles have been loving the blooms lately, so I've been cutting armloads of buds off it every week to bring inside and only leaving a few to bloom on the bush. Long stems for cutting, and they last about a week in the vase. Last pic is from yesterday...it's now soaring above the 6 foot fence behind it.

Hope yours is doing well for you, and you are as happy with it as I am with mine.

{{gwi:270596}}

{{gwi:270597}}

{{gwi:270598}}

{{gwi:270599}}

{{gwi:270600}}

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

removing duplicate post

This post was edited by pat_bamaZ7 on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 15:31

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Maybe Sunset Celebration (Warm Wishes) doesn't like extreme heat--could somebody comment? Mine is not a tremendous bloomer, but it grows well enough and the flowers are very attractive and have good fragrance. Mine was pushing 7' tall until I just now took a couple of feet off with deadheads.

The spots on SC foliage in the picture appear to be cercospora fungus disease. I have a lot of that this rainy summer.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner