Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indiana_matt

rejuvenation - what do you think?

indiana_matt
9 years ago

My sister (living in Greenville, SC) sent me this photo of a rose that came with her new home. First, I think it is getting too much shade and should be moved or replaced.

The canes are wooded over and the plant looks bad. What is the best way to rejuvenate this old wood?

How can she tell if it has been grafted or is on it's own roots?

Thanks,
Matthew

Comments (6)

• cecily
    9 years ago

It does look sparse. I wouldn't prune anything since there isn't much to start with. In Greenville, SC the sunlight is rather intense so light shade isn't a bad thing. Heavy shade would be a problem. Perhaps a nearby tree could be limbed up a bit to increase the sunlight. To stimulate more new branching (basal breaks) from the base, give it a cup of alfalfa horse pellets (not small animal pellets which contain salt), also give it a cup of rose-tone and WATER, WATER, WATER. Consistent deep watering is the best thing she can do.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    9 years ago

It wouldn't bloom if it wasn't getting enough light.

I've found that roses don't like hard pruning after they have just bloomed, like this one has. They are inclined to sulk and do little or nothing for the rest of the year--though they will grow again the following Spring (in our climate).

You want to keep the thicker green canes--which is the most vigorous part of the plant.

I'd prune off the dead and twiggy growth(really thin canes) and wait for new growth to replace it. Since it has just bloomed, better to err on the side of light pruning that over-doing it. If it were two months ago I would be pruning it much harder, but it is too late for that.

• charleney
    9 years ago

I would forego the blooms and cut it back to really good woods. I would it back to at least 8" tall. But that is me. I would use alfalfa on it, and worry more about the bush than the blooms. It should soup right up in the fall, and then I would leave it alone till next spring. But, I am, of course not in your zone.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

It looks to me like it needs a good spray program. The lack of leaves and yellowing leaves look like a fair case of blackspot. Moving it to more sun might help, but my guess is that it is simply a susceptible rose being grown in a climate with high blackspot pressure, and not a lot is going to help.

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

Check out Paul Zimmerman's video on how to rejuvenate a rose. To me, it looks like it is merely suffering from neglect, and has too much old/ dead wood on it, that needs to be removed. I'd take out all the dead wood first. Then, that long cane on the right of the photo: I'd cut that back to the upright little green stem,and water and fertilize...but check out the PZ video, or post your question on his forum "Roses are Plants, Too" is the name of the site. There are lots of knowledgeable people that not only know how to "fix" that rose, but also-unlike myself-can probably post a copy of your photo of the rose, with little lines showing exactly what to cut off! In general though I agree with Charleney,Zac and Cecily, though personally I don't see why you can't prune now, as long as you water a lot...bart

• charleney
    9 years ago

yes to Bart...Check out Paul Zimmerman video ...I thought I knew a lot, and PZ is fantastic!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH