Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayhellonow

Question about a lavendar rose

sayhellonow
11 years ago

I am not in this forum often, but I always come here when I need help because I nearly always find an answer.

I inherited a lovely, lavendar HT rose when I moved into my house. It is very fragrant. It looks just like Sterling Silver and Stainless Steel, but I don't believe those roses are hardy in my zone 5. This rose is very hardy; last year we had two weeks of temps below five degrees. I've had it for six years now. It didn't get a lot of sun, so last year I transplanted it and it's looking great now. I don't yet have a photo of it.

Can anyone help me based on this brief description? Thank you very much!

Carolyn

Comments (13)

• davidchance
    11 years ago

Carolyn,

This might be best, with a photo, in the Rose ID forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name that Rose Forum

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

Maybe Blue Nile? Blue Girl? Royal Amethyst? Check them out on Help Me Find.

• sayhellonow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you David I've posted the question in the Name that Rose Forum, so I'm waiting now.

Ken, thanks to you also. I've looked up Blue Nile, Blue Girl, and Royal Amethyst on the "Help me Find" site. BN and BG look like my rose but, again, they're only hardy in warmer zones than mine.

• User
    11 years ago

Blue Moon? Tantau roses are generally fairly hardy.

• dove_song
    11 years ago

"Blue Moon? Tantau roses are generally fairly hardy."

Yes, Tantu roses are generally fairly hardy. Blue Moon would be my guess, too. :)

• sayhellonow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Companula and Dove. I'm not familiar with Tantu roses, but I looked up Blue Moon, and guess what? It's hardy to zone 7.

• davidinsf
    11 years ago

(I'm usually on the dahlia forum but I do have 20+ roses.)

Not sure whether hardy in zone 7 but it could be Angel Face. Mine is VERY fragrant, lavendar - looks like about 25 or so petals.I've had more than one Angel Face and I recall it is always a small bush with single stems. Not a prolific bloomer but sure smells good!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    11 years ago

Many sources will say that hybrid teas are only hardy to zone 7, but there are many that are hardy in colder zones, especially is your yard's microclimate is a little warmer. So, don't discount the suggestions already made. There aren't many lavender varieties that are widely in commerce, so I would bet it is one of those named.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I know a lot of people who grow beautiful HTs in zone 5 and a few even in zone 4. It depends on the rose and it can also even depend on where it is in your yard. Many HTs are hardier than they are rated for. I think sometimes they just assign the zone based on the rose class regardless of where it's actually being grown successfully. And I do know the HMF has default settings they use when they don't have any other information to go on. Zone 7 is probably their default setting for all HTs that don't have more information available. The best and really only way to know is to try.

If you could post picture, over on the ID forum, maybe we can help you ID your HT!

• sayhellonow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again everyone. Seil, I will definitely post a photo when it blooms. It may be true that it's really hardy in my zone when the "experts" say not. Time will tell...

• sayhellonow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot to add this: I really "do" know how to spell lavender, lol.

• Molineux
    11 years ago

Check the canes. BLUE MOON is generally considered a thornless, or nearly thornless rose.

My guess would be the Griffith J. Buck rose BLUE SKIES.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Skies at HelpMeFind Roses

• rosarama
    11 years ago

May be Angel Face