Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just got my Mom's Day present - a vinyl arbor.

Posted by aptosca CA9 (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 13:39

My old wooden one is falling apart. I noticed when pruning and watering my roses by the gazebo that it is getting pretty unstable. I think it is about ready to fall down. So DH bought me a new one for Mother's Day.

The old wooden one was a really cheap one I got from Jackson & Perkins in 2005. It is not redwood or cedar so didn't last. The new one is vinyl and hopefully will last longer. I got the 'mocha' or tan color to blend in with the gazebo better.

What type of arbor or trellis do any of you use? Anyone have the vinyl ones?
Clare

Here is a picture of the old wooden one when it was new with Aimee Vibert Scandens growing on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dura Trel 36

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just got my Mom's Day present - a vinyl arbor.

I used GW photo upload feature and it didn't come out very good. I am going to continue to use Photobucket from now on.
Clare

Photobucket

o

This spring I purchased an arbor and a trellis. They are both white vinyl and I am happy with how they look, I just wish the roses would mature a bit faster to cover them up a bit. The corner trellis is next to a crucifix/holder for upside down tomato grower from the infomercials:)
Photobucket

The arbor has don juan roses on each side but they are still babies..
Photobucket

Maude

o

I have one of those upside down tomato growers too but haven't used it yet. I am thinking of using it for summer squash or cukes. How do you like yours?

My roses took several years to get that big. Give yours time and I am sure they will look beautiful.
Clare

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, May 18, 12 at 21:57

The wood one was lovely but they don't last. Even the redwood and cedar ones eventually rot. I like the new vinyl one you chose. It should be lovely with that rose on it.

I have a mish mash of black wrought iron trellises stuck in the ground all over the place but they don't have climbers on them, just large shrub roses that need some extra support.

o

I'm not sure about the topsy turvy tomato planter yet. I only planted them about a week ago, but the idea of growing them upside down is interesting. They are still alive though which is always a good sign:)

Maude

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here