Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roses for the Gulf Coast

Posted by dimitrig SoCal z10a/21 (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 13:41

My mother-in-law lives near Biloxi, MS. She asked me if I would have some roses shipped to her. I went to The Huntington Library and Gardens yesterday to find roses that I liked. Of course, those roses experience much different conditions than they would in Mississippi. I am not sure what rootstock is recommended for Mississippi either.

Anyway, I was hoping some of you in The South could let me know if any of the following will do well in your climate (or if they will NOT that is also good to know). They are a mix of climbers, minis, shrub roses/Austins, floribundas, and HT. All of them looked nice at The Huntington:

Jasper
Wild Blue Yonder
Tuscan Sun
Pink Rosette
Edin (Pierre de Ronsard)
Frederic Mistral
Sexy Rexy
Black Baccara
School Girl
Lavaglut
The Prince
Florence Delattre
Heritage
Charles Darwin
Gertrude Jekyll
The Squire
Munstead Wood
Francis Dubreuil

Thanks for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses for the Gulf Coast

I can't say much for the rest of your list, but I've seen Lavaglut look fantastic here in Louisiana. The best rootstock for our area is Fortuniana, but many own-rooted roses do well too.

o

You might order off Chamblee's, Antique Rose Emporium or Roses Unlimited lists. They are all southern dealers. Also, the American Rose Society's garden is in Shreveport, LA and you could call them and ask.

o

I second the idea of calling the ARS or checking out a Southern Rose Grower's catalog.

o

I have Sexy Rexy in my Florida garden. It is a nice rose, but humid conditions make it very blackspot susceptible. As long as she sprays, she can keep it under control.
If you are open to suggestions, Duchesse du Brabant, Souvenir de Malmaison, Mutabilis, Belinda's Dream, Louis Phillipe, Cramiosi, and White Pearl in Red Dragon's mouth are some that come to mind as doing well in the South. Pink Pet is another.

o

The last I heard, ARS sprayed their rose garden.
Maybe that's changed, but if they "Spray and spray and spray ..." as they told me when I was there a few years back, they may not have a good reading on what roses would be disease-free.
But Lindawisconsin has made some terrific suggestions. For others, talk to the Antique Rose Emporium, and look up the Earthkind Roses lists on the Web.
At one point, Antique Rose Emporium donated roses to Beauvoir, for a rose garden there. (You know Varena Davis was a rose-lover.) Those roses must surely have been lost in Hurricane Katrina (when Beauvoir was so badly damaged) and I wish I could recall what they had. But I'm sure they had 'Old Blush,' and I think they probably had 'Perle d'Or.' (I sure would!)

Jeri

o

Give Jim Mills of K&M Nursery a call. He should be able to help a lot. Ask him about Belinda's Dream.

o

Lisa at Countryside Roses is less than an hour from Biloxi, and right on the gulf in Pass Christian.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here