Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on planting

Posted by patty57 7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 14 at 13:43

I posted this on the Antique Rose Forum as well, so please excuse the duplicate to some:

Dear Garden Friends,

I have received a couple of bands this spring in which the leafing out was at the top of the plant. They are approx 21" in height and I assume that one reason, it was growing vertically in the nursery. I have a couple of thoughts on how to plant this one, which is La Belle Sultane and that is to bring the canes down into a horizontal position along the fence and see if any of the nodes break out below OR...plant this at a deeper depth.
My other band was Bella Donna, same look/same height, and that was planted a few weeks ago and I did not plant it any different than my other roses. Did not ponder over the planting of Bella at the time. It, too, looked like this La Belle Sultane and I left it as is and hope its sucker qualities, if you will, will just work it's way up.

Thank you for the time and advice on planting this La Belle Sultane.

PS. The La Belle picture posted shows a small sucker in which, if rooted well enough, I will cut away from main plant and pot up. The main plant is 21" from top of plastic pot to top of plant.

Patty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on planting

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Mon, May 19, 14 at 19:58

Bands are usually planted Approx. 1 inch deeper than they were in the pot they came in...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here