Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kutekaos

The Prince and Madam Isaac Pierre?

kutekaos
10 years ago

I have a spot in the front of my house, my walkway and I have MIP there, she is doing ok. She was a small band from Heirloom roses, got one beautiful rose right away but none since. She gets about 3-4 hours of morning sun and that is it. I also have the prince coming from roses unlimited, I was planning to put that in the other spot next to her. But I am wondering about both and their ability to handle that much shade.

Comments (11)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I have a Prince in probably a little more shade than you are talking about, and this rose does quite well. It's about 4 feet tall with a very rounded bush shape. It doesn't bloom quite as much as I would ideally like (a lot more that your MIP, though), but the blooms don't fry and dry like they would in a spot with stronger sunshine. I find the Prince to be a nice, well behaved rose with lovely blooms. Diane

• kutekaos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a beautiful rose!! What other roses do you have in the shade and doing well?

• kutekaos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I guess then I should ask if anybody has experience with the shade tolerance of Lavender Lassie, CL. Angel Face, Zepherine Drouhin, Mrs. B. R. Cant, and Abraham Darby. I have MIP in that front spot, she is the center of my house, the first thing that you see and smell when you walk to my door. I just bought this house last year and I am a newbie to roses as I just started buying them in January. I have all the above roses and I could trade them out for that spot. I just don't know what to do.

• Krista_5NY
    10 years ago

Lavender Lassie and Zepherine Drouhin will tolerate some shade.

You might leave Mme Isaac Pereire in that spot, and if it doesn't work out transplant it later on. MIP is a vigorous, sturdy rose.

• kutekaos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Krista, I will be patient. She is still a tiny band from Heirloom. The Claire rose that came with her has doubled in size already and Ijust worry.

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    10 years ago

I have a MIP, which came as band from another vendor that typically sell much bigger plants than Heirloom. It was plantted in late April last year, and it did not give me one single bloom the whole year. I would not get worried just yet.

• kutekaos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you farmer duck, that gives me some hope.
    ;)

• kutekaos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Farmer duck, did you get any blooms from MIP this year?

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    9 years ago

Late to the thread, but at my old house, Madame Isaac Pereire from an Heirloom band grew to about a foot the first year, about 2 feet the second year and over 5 feet tall and wide the third year, very bushy and not the long graceful canes I was hoping for. She was planted on a west wall, with about 6 hours of sun a day. A perfect example of 'First they sleep, then they creep, then they leap.' I took her out because she took over the space, and the flowers came out just when the summer heat arrived, and I only had crispy little balls of magenta unless I cut them in the morning. I should have just figured a way to give her some afternoon shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden at the Modern House

• kutekaos
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for responding, actually MIP is doing well in that spot with very little sun. She is about 3ft now and has some blooms that haven't bloomed yet. Its the Prince that has given me one bloom since being planted next to her in a corner spot. Burgundy Iceburg and Stormy Weather bloomed well for me in the shaded area as well.