Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do 1 yr old bushes flower?

Posted by garyderosa 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 13:44

In my ordering binge this year i got 2 new roses from northland. They were Jude the obscure and Aromatherapy. I figured i was getting bareroot grafted but when they arrived they were 1 year old green house grown ownroot. Now i know i should be excited to have own root"which i am" but i thought they would be established and older. they are healthy but only about a foot tall with stems the width of a thermometer. Will they flower this summer, if not how long does it take. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do 1 yr old bushes flower?

• Posted by epis 9 CA (sunset Zone 17 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 2, 12 at 13:59

They probably should... The flower might be smaller though.

o

I've ordered quite a few from Northland. Mine flowered, but not very many and not very large. Maybe 4, 5 blooms? I did pinch off the first set of buds, though, so that they would grow strong roots first. We also had a very cold & wet spring last year, so my roses got a much later start than normal last summer.

o

My experience with small new own root roses is that the smaller rose bushes (ie "minis") will flower fairly well but the larger plant size roses (ie climbers & roses that grow to +5 ft tall)will flower very lightly & sometimes not at all the first year. Remember the saying "the 1st year they 'sleep', the 2nd year they 'creeper' & the 3rd year they 'leap'.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, May 2, 12 at 22:05

I've had repeat blooming seedlings (not rooted cuttings) bloom within 8 weeks of germination so I'd say yes, they should bloom this year. The blooms will probably be fewer and smaller but unless it is a non-remontant rose it should bloom. My once blooming seedlings can take up to 3 years to give me their first bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here