Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

Pernetianas and President Herbert Hoover

I love the Pernetiana roses. Are there any that are worth a fig without having to spray, pamper, coddle?
I have a four year old PHH that has yet to grow out of a 1G pot and only now has one tiny bloom....do I just have a bad clone?
Groan....
Susan

Comments (3)

• lesmc
    9 years ago

Mine is on the third year and I have had the same experience. Darnâ¦I really wanted to grow this rose!

• patrickd_nc
    9 years ago

While a number of this type have stayed 3 feet tall or less for me (own root), even in the ground, Pres HH has not been one of them. I think of it as one of the old HTs that is able to show some vigor on its own roots, even if it was not originally intended to be grown that way. My PHH is still not very tall at all, but its canes are more robust than some others that seem destined to remain somewhat spindly. Mine was from Vintage, and I potted it up to a 2-gallon pot and then put it in the ground about 8 weeks later (I think). Maybe try putting it in the ground?

I do pamper the old HTs, meaning especially in the water and compost department. The one that I have had success with under some neglect is Lundy's Lane Yellow, which grew over 6' tall, lost some leaves to blackspot but never went completely bare and always rebounded. I would think even LLY would need a little pampering until it's established though.

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

I love their colors but don't have much experience with them yet.

My Pres. HH from Vintage seems quite vigorous so far. It came last fall as a good sized band & is in a 2 gallon pot with rich soil in full sun. I've let it throw a few blooms & they are beautiful.

Got Condessa de Sastago from Burling last fall, also. A good well rooted band that I started in a gallon pot but grew so quickly I had to re-pot to a 2 gallon very soon. It has also thrown quite a few flowers--very pretty.

Don't know how wonderful they'll look once full summer heat hits, as I recall Kim's comments that they are "30 minute blooms" that blow quickly in heat. So I think I'll move them to a part sun area soon, in maybe 7-10 gallon pots. But the blooms in the cool weather of this unusually cool spring were very lovely & lasted pretty well.

Is Talisman a pernetinia? Certainly is colored like them. I have a sentimental love of it, but it has been real puny as an own root plant. Got it as a very small plant from Greenmantle--Marissa was most reluctant to even send it at that size & didn't even charge me for it. It is building up very slowly. But I have rooted cuttings from it, & budded it onto a Ragged Robin. That bud immediately made a shoot taller than the entire own-root plant & wants to make lots of blooms. So very pretty! Can't wait to harvest more buds to graft on RR this summer.

I hope that within the next couple of years that I can share cuttings.