Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misswoodstock

Is It Usually Difficult To Find David Austin Roses?

Been trying to find an online rose supplier from which I can order a Mortimer Sackler, but I'm unable to find it anywhere .... (except for a nursery in Texas that looks suspicious).

This is my first time buying a David Austin rose online --- is it usually hard to find David Austin roses online in the US, OR is it just this one ?

I went to help me find, and most of the nurseries listed for this rose are in UK. One exception is Heirloom, but they have it listed as "out of stock".

Any Suggestions?

Comments (10)

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Some David Austin roses are hard to find...I got my Mortimer Sackler from the David Austin Roses website in Texas, some years ago.

Bareroot season is ending soon, though...

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    11 years ago

David Austin Roses still has it listed on their site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mortimer Sackler at David Austin Roses

• ilovemyroses
    11 years ago

I am curious what looks suspicious? There IS a DA USA location in Tyler that I have bought from many times. And this year I bought MORTIMER SACKLER bare rooted, and while it is a bit early to tell about much...it has taken off well and looking healthy.

Chamblee's in Tyler is also great, but they don't have MS. But, they do have many Austins. Good luck!!

• missmary - 6b/Central Maryland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Diane - Thanks! And, like .... duh....
    When I went to that same Mortimer Sackler page at David Austin it was in England. Your link took me to the same page, but it looks to be in America (....looking fast on the run... so not sure where it is ---but the prices are in dollars and not lbs)....

ilovemyroses - I can't find that place I found before... the "suspicious" one in Texas. It was called Quad-something, I think. It didn't look like it was "rose people" -- it looked more like you were buying a ticket for the lottery, or something.

Sorry - I didn't mean to be insulting to the place or to anyone who buys from there - (or about buying lottery tickets, for that matter, either). It just hit me as "risky" for roses.

Miss Mary

• stlgal
    11 years ago

DAR in Texas is a major supplier of Austins here and not at all 'suspicious' (although a bit expensive!) You have to click on the American version of the site (usually they ask), as the hybridizer is in the UK (Shropshire) and folks on that side of the ocean can order from the UK site.

It is getting late in the season for bare roots. Often Pickering has a lot of the older bare root Austins that DAR doesn't carry. Other companies do also, but I bet you get a lot of 'sold out' at this point. I tend to put in my orders by January at the latest for spring planting.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    11 years ago

The link I provided is to the "American" David Austin site (take a look at the URL).

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

Check out Roses Unlimited. They list it. It will be own root but a decent size plant to start off with. Check under "English Roses".

• tapdogly
    11 years ago

Mary -- I am new to roses and have bought roses this Spring from both Rose Unlimited and David Austin U.S. The plants (on own roots, shipped bareroot) from DA so far are bigger than the 2-year "bands" from Rose Unlimited, but this is entirely expected as DA is far more expensive than RL. I like both RU and DA ver much, and will probably order from them again. However, I have to say that I was underwhelmed by the Mustead Wood bareroot from David Austin: it came almost half the size of the others I got, and had quite a few dead canes on it. I am trying to baby it now, and so far it seems to be responding.. (I feed my roses raw egg, and it seems to have worked for me.)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

My DA ownroot 'Munstead' looked awful when it arrived, but it's growing like mad now.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

If you can get it at Roses Unlimited, do that. They send them potted -- so they can be planted almost anytime--whereas the bareroot ones from the David Austin place (U.S.) really should be planted when the weather is still cold outside--in my Zone 6, that would usually be March or early April.

The only problem with Roses Unlimited is that they require an order of 3 roses--so be thinking of 2 others you would like also. In addition, they don't take credit cards, so you have to U.S. mail them a check or money order. Other than that, they are terrific and send wonderful plants.

But the American David Austin place is fine also.

Kate

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths