Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcia_oakland

Looking for a dark wine-colored rose

marcia_oakland
10 years ago

Can anyone recommend one with under 100 petals? Would love to have something in this color to contrast with my pale pinks and apricots...

Comments (26)

• harmonyp
    10 years ago

I think Munstead Wood would qualify:
    {{gwi:252573}}

I don't have it, but I've now seen Dark Night on several occasions, and I would call it a nice deep wine color, with contrasting apricot - although in the blooms I saw the apricot only is lightly visible - the general essence is wine.

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

You might want to take a look at Cardinal Hume.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cardinal Hume on HMF

• jerijen
    10 years ago

You didn't specify plant height ... My personal favorite in that color range is probably 'Prospero,' one of the older Austins.

Rogue Valley Roses carries 'Prospero.'

I suggest strongly that you NOT prune this rose, other than removal of dead growth. "Bend and Snap" to deadhead. Treated this way, it can grow to a tidy, upright, 3.5 ft. or so, and bloom continuously.

Disease resistance is excellent for us on the SoCal coast.
    Fragrance is good.
    Vase life excellent.

Here is 'Prospero' in a vase with 'Sombreuil, Cl.'

Jeri

• marcia_oakland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great suggestions, folks. Thanks! Now I just have to figure out how to squeeze another rose into my overstuffed garden!

Marcia

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

You should look at Night Owl. It's a double and the flowers close up at night. Here it's a nice dark purple.
    I love it - nice strong grower.
    Carol

• marcia_oakland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Night owl looks like the perfect color. Does anyone know whether it'll work as a cut flower?

Marcia

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Burgundy Iceberg is a dark wine color with not a ton of petals and is pretty easy care too!

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

Arthur de Sansal is another possibility.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I would suggest Ascot, and I second Munstead Wood. Diane

• User
    10 years ago

Take a look at Darcy Bussell. Color-wise, it is the identical/or nearly identical to Mustead Wood. Not as fragrant or double as MW, but has better growth habit and disease resistance (at where I live). It is a more mannerly plant, which should be important if your gardening space is as crowded as mine.

• jlee160
    10 years ago

I just bought darcy- it had one bloom- huge and gorgeous! I had to have it!

• jlee160
    10 years ago

Darcy brussell, please ignore the toes:) color in pic is pretty true, maybe a touch lighter in the pic

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

If you want a HT type of bloom, Dark Night is your best bet. Mine is 3 yrs old and pumps out those fantastic blooms. Even the new growth is burgendy/red. I haven't seen a good picture of this bloom yet. In person the bloom is a beautiful velvet burgendy with a soft apricot/yellow on the inside of the bloom. It needs afternoon shade for the best color.

• DisplacedClevelander
    10 years ago

Oklahoma! If you are looking for a color that is a genuine merlot, Oklahoma is your rose.

Nowhere near your zone 9, but (from what I've read) Oklahoma is pretty sturdy. He is fragrant and striking and I've been genuinely happy with him. And as a total newbie, if he can survive/thrive with me (his first year in my yard, we had record breaking droughts and heat).. that has to mean something ;-)

Can't believe no one else has suggested this one..! Oklahoma, get him. I'm tell you... The color is TOTALLY what you're looking for.. He has a rich fragrance and he is sturdy and dependable.. What else could one ask for!

• ms. violet grey
    10 years ago

Oklahoma and The Prince are a gorgeous dark wine color.
    I have both.

• veryzer
    10 years ago

No one has mentioned William Shakespeare 2000 yet. It does very well for me.

• marcia_oakland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT SUGGESTIONS! I think I can squeeze in one climber (on a pillar) and one shrub rose. I'm leaning toward Night Owl and either Burgundy Iceberg or Munstead Wood, as the photos seem to show these as having the darkest colors, which I'm looking for. I'm partial to the Austens, but the Burgundy Iceberg is tempting...

Marcia

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

I just saw this. today I purchased Mirandy & she is a beautiful wine color. :-)

• predfern
    10 years ago

Tradescant is another dark red Austin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tradescant

• marcia_oakland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So many fabulous choices! And purely by accident, I saw Burgundy Iceberg and one I didn't know, Ebb Tide, growing next to each other. Both pretty gorgeous!

Marcia

• joebar
    10 years ago

ebb tide is the darkest rose i have grown in my garden
    isn`t night owl a climber?

• marcia_oakland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Night Owl is a climber. Since I don't really have room for another climber, I'm going to train it on a pillar. Have you had good luck with Ebb Tide? It's beautiful color!

Marcia

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I have three Ebb Tide roses and two of them do fine, blooming well in spring, and good with the rebloom. They are in an extremely hot, sunny spot which has made them grow a little larger than normal. There was a lot of bloom bleaching out and frying in the hot sun the first couple of years that they lived in this spot. But amazingly enough, they seem to have adjusted to all the sun, and only fade moderately. The third Ebb Tide is a little runt that doesn't bloom nearly as much as her sisters, though she, too, is in a sunny spot. Roses are such a mystery. I am also liking Twilight Zone, Ebb tide's offspring, and new this year, are my two little mini Diamond Eyes from Carruth. They are blooming and are adorable. They are very, very dark, which I like. Diane

• marcia_oakland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Diane,

I notice that these are both new roses. Do you know how they are on the question of re-blooming?

Thanks!
    Marcia

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Hi Marcie,
    I don't know anything much about Diamond Eyes yet, but it's covered in buds and really blooming (some of the buds were courtesy of the nursery where DI was purchased). So it's wait and see, but I have a feeling this one's a winner. Twilight Zone repeated ok for a small bareroot planted last spring--nothing spectacular, but I was pleased at how well the purple color held in the heat and sun. It's not going to be a Julia Child in terms of vigor for me, at least, but I'd say it's on par with Ebb Tide. It's a grandiflora, so it's growth habit is different from Ebb Tide's. Diane

• marcia_oakland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Diane. Of course, your climate is very different than mine (Bay Area, Northern California), so it's always a bit of a gamble comparing notes...

Marcia