Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing a rose bush all the way from root - pic

Posted by sonaliagrawal 10 (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 14:06

I had an unhealthy rose bush in one place of my garden. Last year I spent half a day and took it out from root. Boy was it a tough laborious task!

Well, this year I have the rose bush pop back in a couple of places around there, and it looks unhealthier than before. There is a young avocado tree in the vicinity of what I am dealing with. Can somebody help with figuring out the best way to remove this rose bush all the way from its root?

Pics included:

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing a rose bush all the way from root - pic

That's not the original rose. It's very likely rootstock.
Just keep digging it up until it quits coming back.

Jeri

o

Thanks Jeri for your response! Rootstock makes sense. I just got done digging all of these suckers out as much as I could. Also poured boiling water on the spots that were at a good distance from any other plants in this area. Lets see what happens in a few months or next spring! Phew...

o

Try to debud the rootstock and see if you can bud it with a desirable variety you want to grow. There are a ton of videos on Youtube and several websites that tell you how. I think it maybe a better solution than to just kill some healthy roots.

o

Welllllll . . . " . . . Healthy roots" would realistically be roots that are not infected with Rose Mosaic Virus.

Unless Sonalia has evidence to the contrary, I'd assume this to be either virused rootstock, OR re-growth of a rose she planted, and that didn't thrive in her conditions.

The EASY way to get rid of it would be to paint the stuff with Roundup. But geeze, the stuff goes right down into the roots ... I'd avoid it unless I was truly desperate.

Jeri

o

I dug up and moved my Falstaff and thought there was rootstock coming up in the old spot. Just yesterday the 'rootstock' bloomed, and it is Falstaff. I had to check my spreadsheet and realized that Falstaff was one of the own root Austins I got from J&P (you know that terrible company that forces you to buy roses you don't want!). So now I have two Falstaffs!!! First time I did a successful cutting:)

o

You may want to use a narrow tool like a drain spade or post hole digger so you can go deeper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here