Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose rosette disease? :(

Posted by Maggie.the.pearl NE ohio (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 14 at 14:13

Hi,

I am brand new to roses and somewhat confused about what is normal in terms of appearance of new growth.

I literally just planted 2 bushes 2-3 weeks ago, which seems too short a time for problems to develop. One looks fine, the other I'm questioning. The leaves look too strange - yellow and red - and the one cane looks too thorny

I got them mail order from David Austin.

Have a look, what do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose rosette disease? :(

I could be totally stupid as I'm new! But the top most leaves seem so shriveled, almost black. I've been watching them a few days and no change.

o

Did they come potted up?

To me it looks as if there's a salt or other buildup in the soil and that's more than the new growth can tolerate.

If it were mine, I'd flush the soil (gently) with water. And then I'd flush it a lot more.

Leave the bush in semi shade.

Be patient. that massive cane still has potential.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 26, 14 at 15:00

There could be any number of reasons for that funky growth but I don't think it's RRD. You got them a couple of weeks ago and planted them right away. We had some frost warnings just a couple of weeks ago, did you too? That looks like cold damage to new growth in my opinion.

As far as the thorns are concerned, some roses ARE thornier than others. I don't see anything like the massive thorniness of RRD. You wouldn't be able to see much of any green cane at all between the thrones on RRD canes.

You need to relax and be patient and let this poor thing warm up and really start growing.

o

Thanks for the responses,

They did not come potted - just in plastic bags to protect the roots.

I don't believe it could be cold damage as we haven't gotten below 40 degrees in some time. I was actually a little concerned because the usual ship time is in April and I didn't get them until the 6th of May. First week I had them the temps were in the 60s 70s which is rather warm for planting roses according to my reading?

Does flushing the soil mean shoving a hose in the ground and running it for a while? Sorry if that's a silly question.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here