Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Similar to Home Run - but not Home Run....?

Posted by missmary 7 / Central Maryland (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 14:15

Would like to plant a red rose bush as a specimen plant in a little garden area between my front walkway and the house. There is about a 4ft square patch for it. I'd like it not to be overly demanding, and a continual bloomer. I prefer a true red - not a pinky red, not an orangey red. Home Run seems to be much like what I'm asking for - but do you know of another red rose that has double blossoms?

Miss Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Similar to Home Run - but not Home Run....?

Mary, I am just throwing this idea out as I have no idea how this rose would do in your area or if you would even like it. It is Lavaglut. It has smallish, very deep red blooms that are cast iron in heat and literally cover the bush. Its down side, in my area, is it gets powdery mildew as time passes. I happen to live in PM country--hot days, cold nights--and this rose gets shade in the early day time. But is has lots of good attributes, too. And, it doesn't get too huge in my garden.

Here is a picture of the bush, and blooms up close,

My camera didn't capture the deepness of the red color unfortunately. It is darker red.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 9, 14 at 10:39

Just keep in mind that generally, not always, but generally, the less petals, the faster the repeat. The plant must expend more energy to produce more petals, so the more lavish the bloom, the less of them.

o

Plus, there are few red roses as healthy and trouble free as Home Run. It may require a bit more attention dead heading, but it will likely require less attention to spraying. And, as Hoovb commented, single petaled flowers usually begin flowering earlier in the season as they require less heat and light to form blooms; they tend to repeat faster for the reasons she stated and they will generally flower later into fall/winter for the same reasons. Kim

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, May 9, 14 at 20:42

I have to say my Home Run has really been a spectacular performer for me. It's very healthy, very hardy and blooms continuously.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 10, 14 at 11:24

seil do you have any roses that are not gorgeous? what a rosarian you are!

o

Both Lavaglut and Homerun are very good roses. I used to have Lavaglut and still grow a pair of Homerun's. However, if I had to pick only one red Floribunda to grow it would be 'Black Forest Rose'.

Very similiar to Lavaglut in many respects, but a large improvement in terms of disease resistance and it repeats much faster as well. But really, you can't go too wrong with any of these 3 choices.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 10, 14 at 12:41

Thank you, hoov, but I'm afraid I have lots of ugly roses sometimes, lol. Especially this spring!

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be relooking at Home Run - and considering the other suggestions too. I'm excited!
Miss Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here