Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Groundcover Roses...rooting

Posted by lsimms 6a-6bMA (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 14:24

Is it possible to get canes to root? Roses might be totally different from other plants, but I can take a low-lying cane from another plant, say a hydrangea, and get roots to form.

Most plants are grafted, but are the new "groundcover" roses rootable?

Wacky question.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Groundcover Roses...rooting

If you can bend a cane to touch the ground, bury a short length of it about 1 inch under the soil, (so that the very end of it is sticking out), put a brick on it so that it stays buried, and wait. DO NOT detach it from the original plant. Cut back the end part sticking up to about 6 inches from where it is buried under the brick. Check it periodically. When the end part is showing a lot of new growth (might take a year or so), you may have roots under the brick. Then you can cut the attachment from the mother plant, and dig up the new plant with roots, and pot it up. I have done this several times with great success - but it does take a lot of time. Once lately my Le Vesuve rose did this all on its own (didn't use a brick), and I was able to dig up the new plant, which is now happily growing in a pot.

Jackie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here