Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_views

Wound on trunk of climbing rose

garden_views
9 years ago

My husband accidentally cut into the trunk of my climbing rose while cutting down a post close-by. The wound is about 6 inches long, 1/4 inch wide, and the depth is about one-quarter of the diameter of trunk. Do I need to treat the wound or should I leave it open to heal on its own?

Comments (5)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

That's a big wound. Leaving it open could lead to something getting in, either pest or disease. If it were me I'd try wrapping it. I've had some success using floral tape tightly wrapped around a wound until it callouses over.

• garden_views
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Seil.

• charleney
    9 years ago

If there is more than one 'trunk' I would just watch it as Seil said. If I thought it would get diseases or pests. I would surely cut it back if possible. Patience, however is really a great virtue with roses. Good Luck to You!

• garden_views
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Charleney, for your comments. Though there is more than one trunk (is "trunk" the proper term?), this trunk in the tallest and most rose-filled of my Golden Showers climbing rose. The slice out of the trunk is within a foot of ground level, so I hate to think it might need to be cut back. I must rely on you kind folks with more knowledge than I on caring for roses and will remain patience to see what happens.

• garden_views
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Duplicate post; don't know how that happened

This post was edited by Garden_Views on Sun, May 25, 14 at 11:34