Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Calling all geeks. Help me fill my sci-fi garden (off topic)

zaphod42
9 years ago

I have started a sci-fi garden. So far it is small and only has two plants, but would like to find additional ones. I've got Star Trek German Bearded Iris and Blade Runner Sedum. Let me know if you can think of any plants that would work within the sci-fi group - I'll even take plants from the fantasy genre (elves, werewolves, vampires, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, etc.) Superheros also and option. Stan Lee's gotta have a plant named after him somewhere...

Also, share your favorite sci-fi series, book or character. Mine are :
TV series - Firefly
Book - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Comments (17)

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I love Firefly! Also Babylon 5, Continuum (especially the first season) all Star Trek and the original Star Wars :)

For the look of exotic or other worldly, I would consider bee balm (especially red) and other 'spiky' flowers. Really big and really small flowers/plants might be fun, too.

If it's just names, then I don't really have any recommendations...but almost any Latin name (that isn't too similar to the common name) will be reminiscent of Harry Potter. (LOL)

Have fun with your garden!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Got some shade? There are a series of scifi hostas. I have Captain Kirk, some kind of Death Star hosta (I think that was the name--or something like that), and some kind of Vulcan hosta. There were other scifi names also.

When it comes to roses, I can't think of any scifi names right off the top of my head. Sorry.

Kate

Edited to add that I checked my records. The three hostas are Captain Kirk; Vulcan; and Dark Star (named after the cult movie by John Carpenter).

This post was edited by dublinbay on Wed, May 7, 14 at 16:56

• gardenper
    9 years ago

In that case, you might like to grow some passion vines (for the alien flower effect) as well as carnivorous plants (for the carnivorous effect)

• ordphien
    9 years ago

I'll have to peruse my yard. Scifi plants I don't think I have many. I have some fantasy ones. Mainly LOTR if that's acceptable.

But off the top of my head I can think of Dwarf Sea Holly "Blue Hobbit".
    And Salvia Galadriels Tears.
    Dark knight/night rose might fit.
    Gorgeous colouring, and vigorous as heck. Not sure how zone hardy it is though.

An orchid that might be fun to add in the summer months is miltassia Shelob "Tolkien".

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

I just checked HelpmeFind roses - which is a great tool you can use.

There are 2 floribundas, 1 tea (not hybrid tea) and one miniature rose named Firefly.

On a side note. I used to teach with Nathon Fillion's father in Edmonton. Been to there house. How's THAT for geeky!! LOL
    Carol

• amberroses
    9 years ago

Twilight Zone rose

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

EEEEK!!!! I said "there house" instead of "their house!" I taught English for goodness sakes!!!!
    Carol

• ordphien
    9 years ago

I'll have to peruse my yard. Scifi plants I don't think I have many. I have some fantasy ones. Mainly LOTR if that's acceptable.

But off the top of my head I can think of Dwarf Sea Holly "Blue Hobbit".
    And Salvia Galadriels Tears.
    Dark knight/night rose might fit.
    Gorgeous colouring, and vigorous as heck. Not sure how zone hardy it is though.

An orchid that might be fun to add in the summer months is miltassia Shelob "Tolkien".

• Holly Kline
    9 years ago

Alchymist, if you have room for a climber.
    Brothers Grimm (for Grim)
    Dragon's Blood (Jane Yolen series)
    Futura
    Mme. Marie Curie
    Msr. Fillion (Nathan!)
    Seven Sisters
    Song of the Stars

Love the idea, I want pics when it's done!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

The only plant genre I can think of with more creative names than roses is the daylily world, and there are tons with science fiction names. The clearest series to come to mind is the "Spacecoast" series, such as Spacecoast Jedi Knight. Most of the colors look decidedly alien as well.

As for roses, there is a Space Invader listed by Carruth on HMF, but no US vendors. Armstrong and several others have the mini Space Odyssey. There is a Vulcan rose, but it's not available in the US. Over a dozen roses use the word "Fantasy", many of whom are available in the US, including a pink Fantasy (Jackson & Perkins) and a red Flame of Fantasy available several places.

Sounds like a fun plan!

Cynthia

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

"Flying Saucers" morning glory

"Dragon's blood" sedum

Hmmm, someone needs to name some fine rose "42" or "Deep Thought"
    (loved Hitchhiker)

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    9 years ago

There is a Magnolia Galaxy.
    There are also some daisies.
    Bellis perennis Galaxy Red, Galaxy Rose and Galaxy White.
    Daisy

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    9 years ago

There's a Captain Kirk hosta from Bluestone Perennials and a Ferengi Gold daylily from Roycroft Daylily Nursery or Oakes Daylillies. :D

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

It's not a big issue -particularly if it isn't in commerce here- but I believe the old rose Vulcan is named in reference to the Roman god as opposed to the Star Trek race.

There is a Coreopsis variety named 'Flying Saucers.' There's 'Death Star' Pride of Madeira, Echium candicans. I also know there's 'Dark Star' Ceanothus.

Best of luck, sounds like fun!

Jay

• naikii
    9 years ago

How about some 'magic'.

Miracle fruit!

• frenchcuffs13
    9 years ago

Twilight Zone rose and Dark night!
    (Ancient Aliens show lover here!)

• jadie88
    9 years ago

In addition to the others mentioned, there is also a hosta 'Stargate.'

If there are any Doctor Who themed plants out there, I'd be all over them!