Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musaboru

Tiny yellow spots on leaves

Dar Sunset Zone 18
11 years ago

Roses don't normally get blackspots here so I bought this rose plant assuming that the diseases will all go away with some TLC. I thought it must have been the conditions (and overwatering) at the growing facilities that made it so prone to disease.

I see it has a minute amount of black spot. Ok, no problem, I can't ever remember seeing any roses in the neighborhood yards with black spot, so it will go away. The powdery mildew, I'm sure I can manage (I've wiped most of it all). But I wonder what are these yellow spots? Are they a precursor to black spot disease?

I tried searching for information on yellow spots to no avail. Is this something I should worry about or will it go away with some TLC?

{{gwi:272373}}

{{gwi:272375}}

{{gwi:272376}}

Comments (6)

• User
    11 years ago

mmm all I could think of was the possibility of sunscorch through rain droplets on the leaf....but this is a wild guess and i have no idea of US pests and diseases.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Turn the leaves over. I suspect the spots, underneath, are a vivid rust color. That would be the fungal disease, RUST.

I REALLY hate Rust. And it is the biggest fungal disease, here in SoCal, where black spot is rare.

You don't provide your location, but if you are in CA, this is being a bad spring for rust. It may improve, later in the year. If not, if it continues to rust, or gets worse, I would not choose to keep it in my garden.

Jeri

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all.

Jeri, I just looked under and it does appear to be rust as you described. Yikes. I've honestly never noticed rust on any plants here before. I thought it was common in the South and East coast, but never seen it in my garden before. I live in inland So Cal, so I hope the arid climate may help decrease the rust on it. That's 'Yves Piaget' by the way.

• michaelg
    11 years ago

Rose rust is rare in the East and unknown in the South, because it doesn't tolerate warm summers. It's a disease of cool maritime climates, and it spreads only during periods of rain.

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

This article may be of interest:

Here is a link that might be useful: lack of silicone and rust on plants

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    11 years ago

I get rust on my roses and I'm located about 50 miles inland. Summer is scorching hot here with many days over 100 degrees, with over 110 not uncommon. The air is very dry unless its raining (and we don't get much!).

Here is one of my roses that gets rust. Archduke Charles. I bought him last year and planted him in a prime spot with full sun. He mildewed and rusted to such an extant that I couldn't stand looking at the diseased foliage. So I shovel-pruned him and replaced him last year with a rose (Irish Hope) that even in the same location has completely clean leaves (and I don't spray my roses). I didn't have the heart to destroy Archduke Charles. Rather I put him in a pot placed in partial sun in a rare spot that stays damp, wedged between a shrub and a tree. I reasoned he does well in the south and thus would be happier in a more humid environment. This year the mildew is greatly reduced but the rust is currently increasing, which is what happened last year at about the same time.

Blooms can be pretty:

{{gwi:272378}}

The same leaf, top:

{{gwi:272379}}

and bottom:

{{gwi:272380}}

More leaves:

{{gwi:272382}}

{{gwi:272384}}

{{gwi:272385}}

I think Jeri may have Archduke Charles but hers is clean-leaved. Yet she is near the coast. So go figure! This rose might be expected to be clean in my area, but it certainly isn't. I have plenty of other roses that have no rust at all ever. Even roses in close proximity to ones that rust.

Melissa