Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny yellow spots on leaves

Posted by musaboru 10a (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 14:53

Roses don't normally get blackspots here so I bought this rose plant assuming that the diseases will all go away with some TLC. I thought it must have been the conditions (and overwatering) at the growing facilities that made it so prone to disease.

I see it has a minute amount of black spot. Ok, no problem, I can't ever remember seeing any roses in the neighborhood yards with black spot, so it will go away. The powdery mildew, I'm sure I can manage (I've wiped most of it all). But I wonder what are these yellow spots? Are they a precursor to black spot disease?

I tried searching for information on yellow spots to no avail. Is this something I should worry about or will it go away with some TLC?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny yellow spots on leaves

mmm all I could think of was the possibility of sunscorch through rain droplets on the leaf....but this is a wild guess and i have no idea of US pests and diseases.

o

Turn the leaves over. I suspect the spots, underneath, are a vivid rust color. That would be the fungal disease, RUST.

I REALLY hate Rust. And it is the biggest fungal disease, here in SoCal, where black spot is rare.

You don't provide your location, but if you are in CA, this is being a bad spring for rust. It may improve, later in the year. If not, if it continues to rust, or gets worse, I would not choose to keep it in my garden.

Jeri

o

Thanks all.

Jeri, I just looked under and it does appear to be rust as you described. Yikes. I've honestly never noticed rust on any plants here before. I thought it was common in the South and East coast, but never seen it in my garden before. I live in inland So Cal, so I hope the arid climate may help decrease the rust on it. That's 'Yves Piaget' by the way.

o

Rose rust is rare in the East and unknown in the South, because it doesn't tolerate warm summers. It's a disease of cool maritime climates, and it spreads only during periods of rain.

o

This article may be of interest:

Here is a link that might be useful: lack of silicone and rust on plants

o

I get rust on my roses and I'm located about 50 miles inland. Summer is scorching hot here with many days over 100 degrees, with over 110 not uncommon. The air is very dry unless its raining (and we don't get much!).

Here is one of my roses that gets rust. Archduke Charles. I bought him last year and planted him in a prime spot with full sun. He mildewed and rusted to such an extant that I couldn't stand looking at the diseased foliage. So I shovel-pruned him and replaced him last year with a rose (Irish Hope) that even in the same location has completely clean leaves (and I don't spray my roses). I didn't have the heart to destroy Archduke Charles. Rather I put him in a pot placed in partial sun in a rare spot that stays damp, wedged between a shrub and a tree. I reasoned he does well in the south and thus would be happier in a more humid environment. This year the mildew is greatly reduced but the rust is currently increasing, which is what happened last year at about the same time.

Blooms can be pretty:

Archduke Charles

The same leaf, top:

Archduke Charles

and bottom:

Archduke Charles

More leaves:

Archduke Charles

Archduke Charles

Archduke Charles

I think Jeri may have Archduke Charles but hers is clean-leaved. Yet she is near the coast. So go figure! This rose might be expected to be clean in my area, but it certainly isn't. I have plenty of other roses that have no rust at all ever. Even roses in close proximity to ones that rust.

Melissa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here