Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
roses, roses!

Posted by mom2coy 6a/5b (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 14:54

good afternoon!

I'm new to rose gardening. We purchased a house last August , and it came with 5 of the same variety roses on the East side of the house (from what I remember they bloomed until frost) and a pretty pink one tucked into the W/NW corner.

I pruned all the dead canes off the "shrub like" roses on the East side, amd they're coming along nicely. My only concern is the previous owner planted then SO CLOSE to the house. I think once a rose is in, it should be left, right? So, do I just keep pruning away from the siding?

The rose in the back is almost dead. All the canes are black, but there is some nice green growth at the bottom. I don't think this is a good spot for this rose, although I don't really have a place to move it except maybe in my side yard by some daisies. It bloomed really nicely last year, so perhaps the bad winter just did it in amd maybe it can stay?

How do I determine what kind of roses these are? Pics posted on here?

Thanks for any help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: roses, roses!

If you want to move the several roses which are too close to your house, you can do that - just cut them back by at least half, if you haven't just done that. That is because when your transplant them, it will damage their roots, and while the roots recuperate, they will not be able to support much top growth. Try to dig up as much of the root ball as you can. After you have re-planted them, DO NOT feet them. Be sure and give them lots of water, because as I said their roots will be damaged. Then just let them alone - they may not look as if they are doing anything for a while. What they will really be doing is growing new roots under the ground where you cannot see them. When they start to put out new top growth you can feed them - follow the directions.

Re the one that looks dead - I would just cut off all the dead canes and water it, and since it has green growth at the bottom already you could feed it too. Then WAIT for the new growth to grow and bloom. Then you will find out if you have the same rose you had last year, or if that one is dead and what you have is the rootstock growing up.

Definitely put pictures on here of both kinds of roses when they bloom (blooms and full bush shots, and shots showing the leaves clearly), and someone will be able to identify them for you.

Good Luck!

Jackie

o
RE: roses, roses!

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, May 16, 14 at 16:34

I agree with Jackie, now is a good time to do any transplanting. You probably had to cut them back pretty far already because of winter die back so they're already prepped for moving.

You could move that other one too now if you'd like but my thinking is that if it's survived well there up to now it can't be as bad a spot as you think. I would let it be and see how it blooms this season, and look for a new spot for it if you wish, and then move it next season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here