Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gagalzone8

Hybrid Tea for the South?

gagalzone8
10 years ago

Looking for a HT that is disease resistant, hardy and fragrant...prefer pinks or cool red. No orange stuff! lol I have a spot that I need more or a narrow upright rose. Don't want to spray....but ....well...help! Anybody have any suggestions for South GA?

Comments (13)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

I don't know whether the rose you are asking for exists. I wonder if anyone in the South or East has grown any of these without spray:

Francis Meilland
    Parole AKA Buxom Beauty
    Souvenir de Baden-Baden AKA Pink Enchantment

They are all described as fragrant and resistant.

Of HTs with a substantial track record, probably the most resistant to blackspot is 'Elina,' which is pale yellow. It is a terrific performer in the South, but not fragrant.

'Mother of Pearl' might as well be a HT. It is slightly fragrant, and a great performer in my milder climate. Ditto for 'Earth Song.'

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Crimson Bouquet is a beautiful red Grandiflora that is very healthy for me. The problem is it depends a lot on what strains of BS you have. They may be completely different than mine. But CB has extremely dark glossy foliage and that does help with disease resistance somewhat. Even when it's not in bloom, and that's rare, the bush is pretty all by itself.

• saldut
    10 years ago

I am 'no-spray' for 3 years now, and found there are lots of roses out there that resist BS.. I had mostly 'modern' roses but now have mostly Antiques-OGRs, w/a few Moderns...abt. 150 roses.... most China, Antique Tea, Noisettes produce just fine and are beautiful... some of the Moderns that are resistant are Belinda's Dream, Don Juan, a lot of the newer ones are now bred to be clean.. the Kordes from Germany and the Drift roses... the Earth Kind roses ....most of these are suited for your region, look them over! Good Luck, sally

• gagalzone8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help! I guess it doesn't have to be HT, but a type that would grow very upright like that. 4 to 5 ft wide Height needs to be easily controlled. Fragrance a must. I could do white, or a soft clear yellow...low thorns would be nice, but not a requirement. ( I take a med that can make me bleed a good bit! lol..not a blood thinner, but just can make it a pain in the rear!) I gotta tell y'all that I am addicted to this site. i have read so many books about all types of plants over the years, but first hand info I have gotten from members is priceless. Big thanks everyone! Keep the tips flowing!

• gagalzone8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow saldut! I bet your yard looks like a dream land! i am just getting started on my rose journey. Had several at my old house that was int the country on 50 acres. Now I am in a small subdivision.. great old established homes. But the smaller yard is def something new to deal with. Really excited about it, but I realize that I have to put more thought into what I plant. We bought a foreclosed home that hadn't been lived in for 4 years. Had to come in and totally strip out the yard. We do have lots of old trees. Flowering cherries down the drive, lots of mature dogwoods. We have an irrigation system, but haven't checked it yet. Way to many other issues to deal with. I had lots of roses at my other house, but our house had been on the market for over a year, so when a buyer came, we had 30 days to close. Jeez, by the time we had our stuff out, I just didn't give a dang about plants...(sure wish I had gotten all my clemetis. & my Eden..not missing the New Dawn on the horse barn!..sob) to top it off, we had to renovate the new house...so moved stuff to storage and moved our selves to a hotel for 2 weeks. Lordy, that was something. My 16 yr old daughter was still in school...had to paint, put in hardwood floors, take out a window and put in doors...now I am trying to put things together while on a budget. Found out last year that my daughter has a learning disability...(another long nightmare drama with the school story) so don't know what the future holds education funding wise!!! lol Gotta hang on and get my last child through! Sorry so long! If anyone has rooted cuttings let me know! At least this house is much smaller and I have been shocked at how much i enjoy it! My hubby stopped all his horse stuff so we downsized.

• dutchrose71
    10 years ago

I'm a bit north of you (TN) , but we tend to have hot, humid summers as well.
    I'm relatively new to rose gardening and inherited a Gold Medal grandiflora (among many others) when we bought this house a few years ago. The Gold Medal rose seems very happy here and is pretty carefree.
    After some research, I added some new roses this year:
    About Face (probably not for you as it has some orange)
    Belinda's Dream (pink-- an Earthkind rose-- very excited about this one)
    A David Austin, Lady of Shalott
    Mr. Lincoln (red HT)
    We'll see how they do!
    Good luck in your search for upright roses-- have you read "Everyday Roses" by Paul Zimmerman? I recently purchased it and love it. His focus is "garden roses" rather than hybrid teas-- reading it has really opened my eyes to some different options.
    In total agreement about the Gardenweb community! I have been reading different forums for a while and learned so much. Thanks to everyone for being so willing to share.

• gagalzone8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dutchrose71, I agree our climates are very much alike! I have been researching roses too!! Its fun, but I can see an addiction forming!! lol I too ordered Belinda's Dream and Duchess de Branbant. It will ship May 13th. Can't wait!! I also got a Grandmothers Hat rose that is already in the ground. Too excited. I don't have to have a HT, but I have a spot that I would love to put an upright narrow rose and from what i can see, HT's fit the bill. It would be the only one. Need it to fill a spot by a gate. Can't use a climber. I have to say that I have done nothing but research roses for days! The people that post about their 100 plus roses make me green with envy! Could you imagine? How beautiful would that be? Keep me posted on roses you get and how they come out for you.

• gagalzone8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Michaelg, I am really liking Buxom Beauty! Sounds like what I am looking for! I want to plug it in to a perfect spot by a gate. Seil, does Crimson have fragrance? That would certainly be another contender. I like how hardy the bush sounds. saidut, i thought about mr. Lincoln. Yet another choice...that seems to be the problem with roses...way to many beautiful babies to choose from! Makes my ADHD go crazy! lol

• rross
    10 years ago

I'd recommend the Tantau rose Old Fragrance, if you can find it. It's tall but well-behaved and is indifferent to the heat and humidity of Sydney summers. It gets very little black spot, propagates easily from cuttings and smells wonderful. It is very drought-resistant too.

• rross
    10 years ago

I'd recommend the Tantau rose Old Fragrance, if you can find it. It's tall but well-behaved and is indifferent to the heat and humidity of Sydney summers. It gets very little black spot, propagates easily from cuttings and smells wonderful. It is very drought-resistant too.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    10 years ago

Francis Meilland did very well in a rose trial in Athens GA, The report was published last year. It is the 2013 Project Rose for the CT Rose Society.

Here is a link that might be useful: UGA blog

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

michaelg, Buxom Beauty isn't disease resistant in central NJ. For the OP, Mr. Lincoln isn't disease resistant here either.

• JMangum
    10 years ago

I have Belinda's dream; it's a good one here in GA. Mine is about 3ft. x 3 ft. Also have Lafter (own root) and it has been very disease resistant. Mons Tillier and Maggie (OGR's) are also nice for no-spray. I have just planted several HT's grafted on Fort. Can let you know later how they fair.
    Jane