Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charnc

RRD - witches broom? Knockout roses

CharNC
10 years ago

Can any identify if this is RRD? About 25% of the bush has this in it. We are located in NC if that matters. None of my other roses are showing signs but they are spaced pretty far part and this is my only knockout.

Thanks for the help.

Comments (18)

• CharNC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More pic.

• CharNC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Geesh--each pic got worse! By the third pic, I was ready to pronounce this rose a victim of RRD. Destroy it immediately before it can cause harm to any others (RRD mites getting borne on wind currents around your yard).

So sad!

Kate

• buford
    10 years ago

The first two I wasn't sure. But the third definitely looks like RRD. And if it's over 25% of the bush, you have no choice but to dig it up and dispose of it.

• anntn6b
    10 years ago

The look of the rose buds is the give away for RRD on these bushes. Healthy Knockouts have simple hardly ornamented sepals. The sepals on these blooms are horrifically overgrown and aberrant.

• noisettiana
    9 years ago

I am anxious to hear if you completely got rid of it or experienced it in 2014. I had a twelve year old Noisette that was fabulous -- succumbed to this last year. Had to have it dug out and completely removed. So far, no sign this year. Fingers crossed!! I am about 15 miles east of Charlotte.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry about your rose. No matter what the rose its heart breaking to know that rrd has made it to your garden.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Even Knock Outs don't deserve that,
    Get it out ASAP!

• cecily
    9 years ago

This thread is from 2013.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

OOP's, never looked at the date.

• farmhousemouse
    8 years ago

I know this is an old thread but I need to know what is going on. For the last two years my roses have looked more like Halloween decorations than living things- spring comes, they are beautiful; full of leaves & buds. Now, in June, poor flower production & even less leaves-just like last year- what gives? I have fed, watered, obsessed- nothing helps! Should I just yank 'em? What kind of disease am I fighting? I love roses, But this is pushing me over the edge! I'm in eastern NC(Little Washington) & would appreciate any advice I can get-

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Please post some photos farmhousemouse, so we can take a look.

• farmhousemouse
    8 years ago

Will do as soon as I can- thanks

• farmhousemouse
    8 years ago

Close-up of bud- notice dead & leafless canes

• farmhousemouse
    8 years ago

Another view of one of my red roses, a month ago this bush was full of leaves & blooms! This is the same bush that the previous close up pic is from

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It looks normal to me, no RRD signs there. You just had/have saw flies ate your leaves. No big deal. :-) You can use safer insect killing soap to kill the saw flies ate your rose leaves, you can find it at Lowe's/HD for $6.00-7.00 a spray bottle. My friends at rose club use that for saw flies. I use stronger spray for my garden, I have other hardy bugs (rose midge) to kill this season, it also kills the saw flies. I use Bayer's Insects killer, but there is no need for you to use this strong spray if you only have saw flies to deal with. Good luck! :-)

• michaelg
    8 years ago

Mouse,

You can remove the dead and dying canes at the base. What happened to the leaves on the part that is alive? Did they get black spots, turn yellow, and drop?

• farmhousemouse
    8 years ago

Summersrhythm; Thanx for your input- I use Bayer's systemic rose & flower granules, but haven't been very regular with it. Michaelg; as for the leaves, a few had black spot but not as bad as I've seen in previous years. A different rose bush looks like it was fried, but the leaves are still hanging on. As mentioned above I use a systemic because I feel it is a more direct application & I don't have to wait for a calm day (few & far apart here where I live) to spray. Do you think I should cut the canes down now? We are in the midst of some pretty hot & humid weather with daily afternoon t-storms, I'm not sure if that would help or shock them. Most of my roses are floribundas or teas & have been growing several years.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm