Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deervssteve

Status report

deervssteve
9 years ago

Last year, after no HT or floribundas for 25 years, I bought DD, Olympiad, St. Patrick and Peace. DD wasn't performing and got shovel pruned this year. Peace is very healthy, except for a problem this year with rust. Olympiad has been very healthy and behaved like a HT; growth spurts followed by rest. St. Patrick was very good last year, but this year became almost defoliated and is now starting to come back.

This year I got Julia Child, Chrysler Imperial, Just Joey, PJP II and Firefighter.
Julia Child is a star. Clean green foliage and has bloomed non stop. Firefighter is excellent, resisted all the fungus and has been a good grower with intermittent blooms. PJP II started good, picked up fungus and is just coming out of funk. Same can be said for Just Joey. I'm waiting for new clean foliage. Chrysler Imperial grew well but became a mildew magnet.

Lessons learned:

Water is the fuel that drives roses and I increased my watering. It produces foliage, blooms and less disease.

My established old garden roses were being watered deeply once a week even in very hot weather. The HT need much more frequent watering to stay happy.

Comments (5)