Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Status report

Posted by deervssteve 9 (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 15:18

Last year, after no HT or floribundas for 25 years, I bought DD, Olympiad, St. Patrick and Peace. DD wasn't performing and got shovel pruned this year. Peace is very healthy, except for a problem this year with rust. Olympiad has been very healthy and behaved like a HT; growth spurts followed by rest. St. Patrick was very good last year, but this year became almost defoliated and is now starting to come back.

This year I got Julia Child, Chrysler Imperial, Just Joey, PJP II and Firefighter.
Julia Child is a star. Clean green foliage and has bloomed non stop. Firefighter is excellent, resisted all the fungus and has been a good grower with intermittent blooms. PJP II started good, picked up fungus and is just coming out of funk. Same can be said for Just Joey. I'm waiting for new clean foliage. Chrysler Imperial grew well but became a mildew magnet.

Lessons learned:

Water is the fuel that drives roses and I increased my watering. It produces foliage, blooms and less disease.

My established old garden roses were being watered deeply once a week even in very hot weather. The HT need much more frequent watering to stay happy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Status report

Yes, water seems to be key with roses. They bloom so much better with more water.

Here, my Just Joey (in a pot) grows much more slowly than any of my other roses. Same with Chrysler Imperial which I don't grow any more.

Nice to hear that Firefighter is a good rose for you. I keep thinking about that rose.
Carol

o

You do not say where you live, but summer and winter, water is probably the most vital ingredient. However, I must water far more frequently than once a week.

Sammy

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 26, 14 at 15:40

I have to agree, water seems to be the most important ingredient in growing good roses. I water mine about every third day and the pots every other day in normal temps but when the thermometer soars I water the ground every day and the pots sometimes twice a day.

o

I on the other hand, found direct sunlight to be the driver in out zone 6a garden. Its probably due to the weather. We don't have the long growing season of south California and even most of May was cloudy with drizzle. So the true sunny days are precious.

This post was edited by mikeber on Mon, May 26, 14 at 22:01

o

I'm inland SF bay area. During the summer months, we alternate between cool weather with the marine layer and frying with 100+ weather. The heat makes thing happen too fast once the HT start their growth spurt. Ideally, the heat get things going and it will cool off so I can enjoy the blooms. We don't get as long a growing season as Scal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here