Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

Rain!

roseseek
10 years ago

I know to most other than Southern Californians, this is not news worthy, but, thankfully, it has been raining in SoCal! Totally out of character and absolutely appreciated. Hopefully, it's also raining in the major fire areas to help put those monsters down. There are two weather reporting stations near me. I'm nearly perfectly half way between them in elevation. The lower one reported .44" while the upper one reported 1.44" over night. From the sound and look of it, we received easily an inch, maybe more.

One of the best results on this dusty hill was the wet encouraged the gopher I've been battling for months in the front terraces to make his way under the lowest retaining wall and into the walk between the pavers. Brand new, fresh, wet, unmolested granular gopher soil, two large mounds of it between the brick pavers... A strong stream from the hose on full blast and the "pooper scooper" and the varmint is HISTORY! Amazing some of the side benefits of a little rain can bring. Kim

Comments (15)

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

*clapclapclapclapclapclapclap*

Goody for you! Nothing like a good hot drought to make you grateful for a blessed rain. Glad you got some & hope y'all get more soon :)

• psk8er
    10 years ago

I'm about as far away as you can get but everyone knows what it's like to be in need of rain so we are clapping right along with bluegirl. May the rains show those fires who is boss!!

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Great news, Kim! I hope it rains some more for you all and puts those fires out!

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Rain rain rain! It's been rainy here too. It's nice. I get antsy when we don't get rain.
    Susan

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Congrats on the gopher! Rain and a dead gopher--what could be better?

We got maybe .1", but even .1" is wonderful.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I'm glad you got the darn gopher. It is raining all the way up here. We got a half an inch so far.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I washed my car and left it out in the open, so maybe we can get some rain too.

Contrats on your rain!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I'm glad you Californians are getting rain, and thanks for sending some of it our way, too, this afternoon. We've had only 3.15 inches of precipitation since Jan.1, and though it's always dry here, it was getting scary dry these past few months. Of course, our rain was accompanied by winds, lightening, thunder and proceeded to whip all the little plants I just put in the ground. Can't be too picky, though. I'll take any kind of rain. I hope your rain means an end to current fires. Diane

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

No rain here but we're getting cooler temps for this time of year. Glad you guys are getting rain.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

We've had some too and I'm totally elated. We were facing a long, hot summer with rain totals that were laughably low, except no one felt like laughing. This late rain is a huge blessing, even though there hasn't been a great deal of it, but every little bit is a gift.

Ingrid

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Kippy go wash your car again please, it worked! :^)

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

I wish we could swap weather for a week or two. This is the grayest year--I'm talking since Jan. 1--that I've seen since I began living in Italy. And WET.
    Congratulations on your rain!

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

The air was so cool, clean and clear today. Thank you rain! I went out to see if my PJPII flush had been spoiled but it looked fine. However the color was so bright white in the clear midday sunlight that the brightness off them was like looking at fresh snow. I couldn't really look at them because it was overloading my eyes like when the camera overexposes the white color and all you see is a white glare. But they smelled wonderful anyway. They survived both heat and rain. Pretty good for white roses. All my little Scepter'd Isle blossoms that opened during the rain are hanging face down on the mulch. I am grateful for this overcast weather after all the watering I had to do. When the sun comes out in the afternoon, I go after some weeds in the moist soil. It should be a nice week/weekend to be outside in so. CA I hope the last part of my Vintage order will arrive while the weather is still nice.

How are your spring cuttings doing?

• harmonyp
    10 years ago

I'm so happy someone got rain. On my dry hot wind blasted garden that wiped out at least half (probably a lot more) of my blooms - the post office here - about 2 miles away had about 1" of rain. And 2 miles East (me), didn't get a drop. Sigh.

• minflick
    10 years ago

We had no rain here in Boulder Creek, but it's been overcast and cool here. Over the hill in San Jose, it's still overcast, but it's warm and muggy and not pleasant. No rain anywhere down around me that I've heard about.