Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where are the 'bud eyes'?

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 15:30

My neighbor has 2 rose bushes in his yard and he doesn't like to garden. He told me I could look after them so I could have something to practice on since I'm fairly new to roses. I have 'no idea' what kind they are. I do believe that one of the roses (after some research) has been grafted on to a Dr. Huey. A couple of years ago the roses were pink with some red roses mixed in. At that time, I pulled all the red ones out and ended up with pink roses. I checked on this forum quite some time ago and that is what I was told about this rose.

Anyway, both rose bushes have spindly branches (some are thinner than that of a pencil) After removing the blackspot, aphids and dead wood and crossing branches etc. I was looking for 'bud eyes' along the stem (I even put my reading glasses on) I can't find any. What gives? I thought all roses had bud eyes. So, if I decide to cut back a tall branch, where would I make my cut?

The rose already has small buds at the top of the stems. Once the flowers bloom, I'll send in some pics and maybe someone can tell me what kind they are. In the meantime, I just want to the best I can with them. BTW, they are in full sun all day. I added some fresh soil and bark mulch this morning and watered well.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where are the 'bud eyes'?

Here's a very good video that identifies and defines many anatomical terms that rose growers often use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Zimmerman on Rose Anatomy

o

Cadence -- Bud eyes should be all along a cane, at any point where a leaf attaches to the stem. The bud eye is a tiny fleshy "bump" tucked between the cane and the leaf.

If there is a long length of stem, with no leaves at all, then you are correct that there are no bud eyes -- and so you don't want to cut the cane, in that area.

Is it possible for you to get a photo of these plants?

Jeri

o

I can't believe I am disagreeing with Jeri, but--the lower part of old canes used to have leaves, now don't, but they still have bud eyes. These are little bumps with smiley lines underneath where the leaf stem used to attach. If the canes are old and barky, you can often still make out the bumps.

o

Michael is right. Those are harder to spot.
I was thinking of a newer cane -- but of course, she's more likely describing older growth, yes?

Jeri

o

Oops . . . Terribly, terribly sorry for providing access to all the apparently erroneous and/or incomplete info contained in Paul Zimmerman's video . . .

o

Thanks everyone for all your help. Okay, I've got the bud-eye thing figured out. I really enjoyed Paul Zimmerman's video on 'The Anatomy of a Rose' - Once these rose bloom, I'll send a couple of photos to see if anyone can help me to identify what kind they are. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here