Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Where are the 'bud eyes'?

gardenbug
10 years ago

My neighbor has 2 rose bushes in his yard and he doesn't like to garden. He told me I could look after them so I could have something to practice on since I'm fairly new to roses. I have 'no idea' what kind they are. I do believe that one of the roses (after some research) has been grafted on to a Dr. Huey. A couple of years ago the roses were pink with some red roses mixed in. At that time, I pulled all the red ones out and ended up with pink roses. I checked on this forum quite some time ago and that is what I was told about this rose.

Anyway, both rose bushes have spindly branches (some are thinner than that of a pencil) After removing the blackspot, aphids and dead wood and crossing branches etc. I was looking for 'bud eyes' along the stem (I even put my reading glasses on) I can't find any. What gives? I thought all roses had bud eyes. So, if I decide to cut back a tall branch, where would I make my cut?

The rose already has small buds at the top of the stems. Once the flowers bloom, I'll send in some pics and maybe someone can tell me what kind they are. In the meantime, I just want to the best I can with them. BTW, they are in full sun all day. I added some fresh soil and bark mulch this morning and watered well.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Comments (6)