Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnkitty

Need alternate for Sharifa Asma

mnkitty
11 years ago

I placed an order for Sharifa Asma about 2 weeks ago. I was planning on planting them between WS2000 and Sven. I got a call this morning that the nursery is out of Sharifa. I need to make another selection right away because they are shipping in a couple days.

I need the color to look good with WS2000, and I am unable to view any of them in person. Also, I live in zone 4, but will give them winter protection.

Some options are:

Eglantyne

Gentle Hermoine

Pretty Jessica (would this one be too close to WS2000 color?)

Glamis Castle

Kathryn Morley

Queen of Sweden

Redoute

Wildeve

I am open to other suggestions, but I love the look of Austins.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Kitty

Comments (13)

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

For toughness, beauty and delicious fragrance, I would go with Eglantyne. The fragrance is so wonderful, and it's an outstanding rose in my garden setting. It's my favorite Austin; it's an exceptional bloomer and performer for me.

I was not able to keep Gentle Hermione as the fragrance was too unpleasant to my nose.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

Glamis Castle has left my garden because I found the smell very unpleasant but also because of its vicious thorns. Pretty Jessica is lighter than WS2000, really a true pink, and should blend very well with it. I have no firsthand knowledge of the others you mentioned.

Ingrid

• ilovemyroses
    11 years ago

I know some aren't lovers of Sceptre d'Isle, but mine is so pretty, and a lovely pink with happy yellow stamens and I love this pink and yellow combination on her.

Too, where did you find Sven, that is on my list...a great rose at the EarthKind rose garden in Texas.

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Brother Cadfael might be too tall for what you want - but it is very hardy when protected. In zone 3, I had about 2 1/2 feet of green cane when I lightly protected it. Lovely rose. Does ball if you get a lot of rain.
    Carol

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

I would do Queen of Sweeden because SA is an upright grower, not too big, which is what QoS is as well. Though if you are in zone 4, they are all going to be not too big...so maybe go with what krista suggests, since she is in 4 also.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Shakespeare 2000 is a rather sprawling or sideways growing shrub that will grow at least a foot higher than Pretty Jessica (or maybe even more). Pretty Jessica is only about 2.5 -3 ft tall, Shakespeare more in the range of 4-4.5 ft. and about 4-5 ft wide. There is nothing wrong with planting shorter roses next to Shakespeare, if that is what you want to do. I do, but the smaller ones I have next to Shakespeare are more sprawly--shorter Anne Bolyn (Austin) on one side and Gourmet Popcorn on the other side. Pretty Jessica is rather rigidly upright, as is Queen of Sweden (which is about 4-5 ft tall in my garden). I can't quite visualize either one next to Shakespeare--but then, maybe you are looking at a different vision than I am. : )

I don't know what the problem is with Gentle HErmione's smell, but if you don't object to it, I would go with it. I think some of the pics I have seen of it are absolutely wonderful. She is a gentle light pink and a little more "loosely" built than PRetty Jessica. I can visualize her next to Shakespeare.

Several of the others might work also--I just am not familiar with them. But you need to decide whether you want them all to be about the same height and shape, or do you want contrasting heights and shapes.

Did you have the option of a golden yellow next to Shakespeare? I have one quite close to my Shakespeare and the purplish red shades of Shakespeare look great next to the golden yellow tones of the other one (the gold one is Well Being--but I'm sure there are many others--Julia Childs, for instance.)

Good luck with your choices.

Kate

• mnkitty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much for your input.

Krista, You have helped me a great deal in my selections, thank you so much. Do you have any thoughts on how large Eglantyne might get in my harsh, Midwest zone 4? I'm guessing it won't be as large as yours, and in this particular case, that might be a good thing.

Ingrid, I have wanted PJ for a long time. Sadly, (this is embarassing to admit)I got one last Spring and accidentally killed it. I think, from pictures, that PJ is a must have, but I'm wondering if there would be enough contrast between the 3. Sven, at times, is almost the same color as William, and at other times lighter, so I'm looking for a rose that will contrast with William and a lighter Mauve. Would you say that PJ is as light as Sharifa Asma, or I guess, pale enough to contrast with a lighter mauve?

ilovemyroses, Sceptre d'Isle is very pretty. I wonder how large it would get in zone 4.

I got Sven at a local nursery. I kind of doubt they ship, but you never know. Their name is Nelson's Nursery. I will look up their # for you tomorrow, or ask them myself if they would ship.

Carol, Brother Cadfael is another one I've been longing for. They don't have it at the particular place I'm ordering from, but they do have it at a relatively local place, so I'm hopeful I might make a short road trip and pick one up this year.

Hoovb, The space I'm putting them in is not too big. Some would probably say too small to fit another rose, but like you said, they just aren't getting very large here. It's really hard to judge how large everything will get in my zone.

Dublinbay,
    I'm hoping Shakespeare will be a bit taller than the others. He hasn't grown very much, though. I keep hoping this year will be his year. I really think, from pic.s that Gentle Hermione, would be a good alternative to Sharifa. I don't know how hardy this one is. I never go by smell, not that I don't love the smell of roses, but I have come to the conclusion that, the stronger the fragrance, the more the rose chafers and other beetles come. So, maybe if the smell is unappealing to people, it will be unappealing to the beetles.

Thank you for the help. Any other ideas would be appreciated. The clock is ticking for my order, though.
    Kitty

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Kitty, I prune it back so it's about 5 feet tall. It has a dense, twiggy habit. It's tough as nails through winter, and the blooms smell out of this world.

• jumbojimmy
    11 years ago

I'm putting in my 2 cents: I don't think red blend in that well with light pink colour. I'm not sure what colour is "Sven", but I would go with an apricot/peachy colour to mix in with William Shakespeare or a much darker pink.

• mmacphail
    11 years ago

I grow Sharifa Asma, Kathryn Morley, Queen of Sweden, and Redoute. I also live in Zone 4. One of the charms of Sharifa is its intense fragrance. None of the other three (Kathryn, Queen of Sweden, Redoute) have nearly that intensity of fragrance. I also find that Kathryn Morley has limited blooms and almost no rebloom. I agree with the person who suggested Sceptre d'Isle. It's wonderfully fragrant (if you like the myrth smell), a beautiful pink, relatively upright growing, holds its blooms upright (unlike some Austins).

• mnkitty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hoovb, I was looking up images of WS to see what others have with their Shakespeare when I came across yours. It is lovely. It looks white or blush to me. Can you please tell me what it is?

Krista, You've convinced me to try Eglantyne, but maybe I should put it somewhere else. Do you think Shakespeare would look better with another color?

jumbojimmy, You are totally confusing me. That's o.k.,though. I've never been an apricot person, but at this point, I really just want what looks good. I have been redoing this spot in my garden for 6 years and can't seem to get it right. This will be WS2000's 3rd season in this spot and if he doesn't get bigger this year I will move him. Sorry to rant. What would you suggest?

ilovemyroses, Nelson's # is 800-955-6094. Even if they don't ship, they may be able to help you find someone who does.
    Kitty

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

I wouldn't recommend planting William Shakespeare 2000 too close to Eglantyne, as it might be somewhat overwhelmed by Eglantyne.

If you're interested in two roses planted in a close grouping I think I'd go with Wildeve with William Shakespeare, that would be a lovely color combo, or Pretty Jessica.

• mnkitty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mmcphail,
    It's so nice to hear from another zone 4 gardener. I would really love to hear about All your roses, and to what extent you winter protect.

The place I'm ordering from called today and said they were shipping right away, so I had to make a quick decision. I decided to go with Pretty Jessica. I've wanted that rose for a long time, and if they don't fit in perfectly, I know I'll find another spot for them.

I really appreciate all of your suggestions. I will use them for help with future orders.

Thank you,
    Kitty