Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberlodal

Bagged Roses

Amber Lodal
9 years ago

How long should I give my bagged roses before proclaiming them dead and digging them up? I planted the dormant bare root bagged roses that I purchased from Home Depot (I kept receipts in case they failed) back in March and they did start to have some shoots then those shoots turned brown and died. Some of the canes still have a little green on them, so are they still trying to get their root system? They just look terrible and I want to dig them up return them and replace with new good healthy roses� but trying to have patience and just see if they will come to life. One is a Joseph's coat, one was called Princess and the other called Golden Medal.

Thank you

Comments (4)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

That's going on 8 weeks. In your zone it's been warm enough for long enough that I'd say they're toast. When you dig them up you probably won't find any roots formed.

With those bagged bare roots you really have to work at keeping them moist at all times to get them to take. Did you soak them before planting and mound them with soil up the canes? That helps to keep the canes from drying out and dying back.

• Amber Lodal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No I did not soak them, I was following the instructions on the bag and it only said to soak them if you were not going to be planting them right away which I was so I did not soak, of course now looking up the correct way to plant them I'm bummed that I didn't because that could have made a big difference. I'm also having a huge problem with thrips on my other roses so I didn't know if they were hurting these as well.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I don't think it's the thrips. Those generally tend to attack blooms not canes. If you have the receipts I'd take them back and try for new ones.

• Amber Lodal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you I did pull them straight out of the ground no digging needed and no roots, went and replaced them with three new rose bushes.... Now on to tackling my Thrips!!! Ugh!