Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crepe myrtle

Posted by joytwo1839 z6 TN (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 15:35

I know this is the wrong place but couldn't decide where the right place is. I have a 15 year old CM and six two year olds that was fully leafed out before being hit by a heavy frost two weeks ago. Some of the smaller ones have brittle limbs and all of the leaves are dead. Will they recover do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crepe myrtle

Brittle limbs are OK as long as they are the thin wood, which occurs all the time with them. If the main limbs are brittle, you may have problems. Try gently scraping the trunks with your thumb nail. See if the cambium layer under the bark still looks fresh, green and healthy. If it does, they should be OK. If it's dark, mushy, like rotting produce in the crisper, begin pruning them back until you reach fresh, green material. Or, just leave them alone and let them show you where they wish to respond. Kim

o

This happened tso me too. I have to young crepe myrtles side by side in my back yard. One had full leafed out at the time of the frost, for that one the top leaves burnt and the tree seems fine. I'm leaving the dead leaves on and letting the tree recover on its own. The other one was just starting to leaf out, and it has stopped! I haven't scratched the trunk, I just keep talking to it and praying! I just wonder how long it will take to recover if it will! I'm crushed.

o

Few plants are as resilient as crepe myrtles. Trust me, Joytwo, you've absolutely nothing to worry about.

o

Thanks everyone and the last answer I like best.

o

Guess what - they are all alive except two are coming back from the root - the top part is gone. But the others are just pushing off the dead leaves and moving right alone.

o

Lucky you Joy! Mine appears to be dead!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here