Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

Lavender with good disease resistance???

Is there such a thing? I'm leary of ever bringing another lavender/mauve into my garden after my experience with Angel Face. I'd give my Angel Face's about an 8 or maybe even a 9 except for their total lack of resistance against B.S. You could never miss a spraying. Is there such a thing as a good lavender that doesn't require constant spraying against disease?

Comments (31)

• michaelg
    13 years ago

Not among normal modern repeat bloomers, as far as I know. There are some polyanthas, but I haven't grown them.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Michael. I'm not totally adverse to a poly, but it would have to be a really floriferous one. Still I'd hoped for a larger bloom with vase potential. What a shame.

• jaxondel
    13 years ago

Generally speaking, one never uses 'lavender' and 'disease resistance' in the same sentence if the subject is roses.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Over on the antique rose forum, they've been discussing Excellenz von Schubert. It's a lavender/mauve rose that's said to have a marvelous fragrance and repeats very nicely. Just be careful which nursery you order it from (as that's what the discussion is about).

It's a hybrid musk and I don't think it's prone to blackspot...but I'm sure they could answer any questions you might have :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Excellenz von Schubert

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

'Heirloom' may be your best bet, but probably fungicides would still be mandatory.

• kstrong
    13 years ago

I was going to say Neptune was your best bet on that one. But I've also heard good things about Blueberry Hill (which I don't grow).

Kathy

• athenainwi
    13 years ago

Neptune had blackspot when I had it. Sandra Renaissance is probably my most BS resistant lavender rose but it still appreciates spraying. Blue River isn't bad either, although it gets BS when I get lax in spraying, it grows well enough to ignore it.

I should add that I normally spray Bayer Disease Control every three weeks. Some roses do get BS under this regimen but most stay clean.

• michaelg
    13 years ago

'Heirloom' is extremely susceptible to disease in the East. 'Blueberry Hill' seems about average for HTs and floribundas, definitely needs spraying here, but not as bad as other mauves.

• michael_in_chicago
    13 years ago

Others have had different experiences with Karl Lagerfeld, but it gets very little BS in my no-spray garden until very late in the season if at all. Incredible fragrance, light purple/mauve color, more of a columnar form. In Oklahoma, who knows, though!

• the_morden_man
    13 years ago

Maryl,

I have no experience with it, but you might want to take a look at Laguna Freelander. Palatine sells it and it certainly can't be any worse than some of the usual Lavender suggestions. Who knows, maybe it will surprise you...

• jont1
    13 years ago

My two Fragrant Plum HT's never give me any problems, but I do spray.
    Also, Lagerfeld seems to hold it's own as well. I got it at Lowe's reduced to $2.99 for quick sale. It had a little BS but it cleared right up with one spray of Mancozeb and has never had any BS since--4 years ago. Great bush and lovely fragrant flowers.
    Wild Blue Yonder is a darker grandiflora that does well.
    Melody Parfumee is also a darker mauve and it is very vigorous, healthy and hardy and the blooms are incredibly fragrant and well formed.
    John

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for all your help. All of your suggestions have had me bouncing around all over the internet looking at everything....Excellent Von Schubert is pretty, but way too tall. I'd like to keep it to 5 feet or under..... Modern Man your Palantine suggestion sent me on a search of Kordes roses. They are really getting serious about disease resistance. Thanks for the nudge in their direction. I'm going to want grafted, on Dr. Huey if at all possible though......I've heard some good things about Wild Blue Yonder John. What size does yours grow to?...I'll check around about Karl Lagerfeld. A friend of mine grew Blueberry Hill and it had a pretty hefty problem with BS if not sprayed all the time. I WILL spray but want to be able to miss a time or two (or three) without leaves falling all around me....Maryl

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    13 years ago

I am always shocked to hear that Lagerfeld is blackspot resistant for folks in blackspot areas. Mine is not, no way, defoliates fast too, and I have had my plant for 18 years.

• mgleason56
    13 years ago

I'd recommend three;

Distant Drums
    Distant Thunder
    Coffee Country

All three are pretty disease resistant for me, although they might not be the "lavender" you are looking for.

• athenainwi
    13 years ago

Lagerfeld has been decent for me as far as BS resistance but it does need to be sprayed. My problem with Lagerfeld is that the flowers are very sensitive to everything and can get ruined by rain. They are lovely when they are perfect but that is infrequent for me. Lagerfeld likes to grow straight up too, it gets about 4 feet here and it would probably be taller if it didn't die to the ground every winter.

Melody Parfumee was not hardy for me and died the first winter.

I bought Laguna Freelander this year so I can let you know how it did by fall if you want.

• mantis__oh
    13 years ago

And how did Athenain's Laguna Freelander perform?

• john_ca
    13 years ago

Some find that Stainless Steel has decent disease resistance in their growing area. Two individuals have given this variety an "Excellent" rating for disease resistance in the HMF (helpmefind) . Some state that this variety has disease resistance than others in this color range, while others have problems with black spot. Perhaps this is one you should consider.

• elemire
    13 years ago

Rhapsody in Blue seems to be foliage trouble free here, it is rather nice deep violet. The trouble with it though is the habbit, as it just throws long leggy canes random directions, not particularly graceful rose.

Blue for you might be not too bad bet, but I have no idea how it will do with no spraying, and it also is more of a landscape shrub than a cutting rose.

Indigoletta aka Azubis also did its first year for me in good shape. No defoliation to mention, ok rebloom, balled a bit in late autumn (when was very cold and rainy, somewhere in October, so no wonder there). Technically she is a climber, but I am tempted to grow her as a shrub. So far so good.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Palantine has another eyecatching one that I just noticed this year called Annie Davidson. Reminds me of Paradise. Anyone tried that one?....Hope Athena answers (or someone else who grows it) about Laguna Freelander...Love Stainless Steel in the cool weather, but alas we don't have much of that around during our growing season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie Davidson

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    13 years ago

You might try Fragrant Lavender Simplicity if you don't mind the small blooms. But, it is tough to tell what roses are disease resistant in our garden--even roses with no disease resistance still have their leaves due to our spray program.

• jim_w_ny
    13 years ago

I grew Angel Face for at least 15 years on the West Side of Los Angeles without a touch of BS. And that is not the driest climate in the areas being near the ocean. On of my favorites.

• jaxondel
    13 years ago

The most disease resistant lavender for me has been 'Royal Amethyst'. It's a heavy bloomer and, unlike many HTs, doesn't produce blooms only at or near the top of the bush; rather, its flushes often cover the plant from the top to very near the base, making it a very coloful garden plant. Have to say though, that it's not a good cutting rose for me. Perhaps it produces better blooms in conditions that are milder than what my garden provides. The plant tends to sprawl a bit -- wider than tall.

• kublakan
    13 years ago

I love the mauve/purple/lavendar colored roses. Unfortunately I live in the BS capital of the U.S., although that doesn't stop me :-> I'm such a glutton for the mauves that I ordered a Barbara Steisand for this spring even though I've heard nothing but criticism about her.

Here are my best survivors (note, they ALL get blackspot at one point or the other but the following survive in spit of this):

- Stainless Steel
    - Lagerfeld
    - Enchanted Evening
    - Fragrant Plum
    - Wild Blue Yonder

As I said before, down here in South Florida there is no such thing as a BS proof mauve rose, but the aformentioned have been fighters in my yard. A few of the lovelies that I wouldn't try again are:

- Blue Girl
    - Heriloom
    - Melody Parfume (I still have two but they are a struggle to keep alive for all the BS)
    - Lavendar Simplicity (couldn't keep those leaves on for anything)
    - Stephen's Big Purple (died at the starting gate)
    - Purple Heart
    - Cool Water
    - Blue Skys
    - Angel Face
    - Simply Marvelous

As with all advice, mine is completely subjective to my climate. You might want to weigh advice from people close to your area higher than those farther away.

Good Luck!

Adrian.

• Harton
    10 years ago

I'm trying Hansa this year. It's a Hybrid Rugosa from 1905. It starts off deep pink and matures to lavender/purple. Its bloom is far more complex than a pure Rugosa, but it's Rugosa heritage is supposed to make it disease resistant. High hopes. We'll see. I have a Rhapsody in Blue, Blue Girl and an Angel Face and fight the BS because they are so beautiful. I'm trying a Bacillus Subtilis bacteria-based spray this year. I also have the agricultural strength antifungal, Quadris, in my arsenal. Qaudris is not for the organic heads out there.

• Susanne27
    10 years ago

Palatines is selling a lavender floribunda with frilly old fashioned flowers called Poseidon or Novaris. It is said to be vigorous and disease resistant.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I just got Sweet Intoxication. Had it some years ago and I recall it as being healthy, but it died in our horrendous hot summer of 2011 - but so did a lot of others, so I am trying it again.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

As to Royal Amethyst - mine was COVERED in black spot. I don't spray, because BS isn't a problem here. So if a rose gets BS here - I wouldn't try it anywhere.
    Carol

• wendit
    9 years ago

My royal amithyst is BS free here in the pacific northwest. I did hit it once with Bayer early on. Some mildew just in the last two weeks, along with every other plant in the yard. I love it, and is a good cutting rose for me

• bcroselover
    9 years ago

My Blueberry Hill is a weak performer, I get only three to five blooms a year and it doesn't grow to full size. It does get bs, but Cornell formula stops it. I learned on this website they are prone to RRD. But mine is growing on its own roots. I hope that gives it protection, it's never had a serious infection. I keep because, well, just look at the blooms.

• bcroselover
    9 years ago

I forgot to say, after the first year with Blueberry Hill, I was so pleased that I bought another one on its own roots. It also remained small. They were said to be "shade tolerant" and mine were getting 4-1/2 to 5 hours of sun a day. Nevertheless, I took the second one over to my friend's house where it would have over 6 hours a day. It did much better and quickly produced considerably more blooms for him.