Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ikea_gw

your favorite BS resistant yellow or apricot rose for cutting

ikea_gw
13 years ago

I am thinking about planting a small cutting garden in my community garden plot. I love yellow or apricot colored roses. What is your favorite BS resistant yellow or apricot rose for cutting purposes? I don't care if the bush looks odd as long as it is healthy and easy to bloom. Fragrance is a bonus but not a necessity. Thanks!

Comments (19)

• michaelg
    13 years ago

Valencia is a huge, gorgeous apricot HT with some degree of BS resistance, but if you are in the East it will need spraying. Elina is a bit more resistant and is another spectacular cutting rose.

For high BS resistance, Winter Sunset and Prairie Harvest, but these are not great cutting roses. WS (orange sherbet color) cuts pretty well, but must be taken very early as the sepals separate. Otherwise it blows in a day or two. PH (pale yellow) has HT form but doesn't last long. Both have some fragrance, as does Valencia.

• vedazu
    13 years ago

It seems that everything in South Jersey gets BS, but two roses that never get it are Mother of Pearl and Apricot Candy. They both have quite long stems and bloom non-stop for me. I am very busy and do what I can in the garden, but I'm not able to spray consistently and to do what I would like to for them--these two just keep churning out beautiful blooms and have no diseases--ever.

• jeffcat
    13 years ago

Well I can't really comment because all of my yellows and apricots are perfectly healthy and get no disease whatsoever here in Ohio.

I grow:
    Abraham Darby
    Evelyn
    Graham Thomas
    Golden Celebration
    Charles Darwin(just purchased and hasn't bloomed)

So far, I have heard in some way or another all of them(outside of Charles Darwin) have been blackspot disasters in various locations...but not for me. Now, I don't know anything about Charles Darwin yet, but I've heard the blooms last longer than most Austins when cut and makes a pretty good cut flower. I'm presuming Abraham Darby has the strongest fragrance, although is probably a poor cut flower. Evelyn's papery blooms can be apricotish pink and have the best bloom form in my opinion and look the best in my opinion. Evelyn does OK as a cut bloom(for an Austin). I thought Golden Celebration would make a good cut bloom, but the bloom only lasted about 2 days before it started looking a bit pink and unsettling...same goes for Graham Thomas. So, out of my limited experience, probably Evelyn for me, but I am hopeful Charles Darwin is the better cut flower based on what I have heard. With all that said, they are Austins, and I'm sure HTs last longer by quite a ways.

• Carrie_AZ
    13 years ago

I have St Patrick, Radiant Perfume and in tree form Welcome Home. We don't get Black spot in my area of the Az desert because it is so dry but I believe these 3 are disease resistant. The Radiant Perfume has a lemon scent with long stemmed blooms it is a deep yellow color and is a great cutting rose. The Welcome Home is a light yellow with scent and St Patrick is a yellow with a green tinge but in my warm weather I rarely see the green tinge it has a slight scent with long stemmed blooms and it is great for cutting.
    A great apricot rose is Medallion the blooms are huge and it smells great another which is more of a light pink but puts out tons of blooms is Johann Strauss this rose is beautiul you will get arm loads of blooms.
    Good luck
    Carrie

• buford
    13 years ago

I have St. Patrick and it must be resistant because I don't remember it ever having BS. I do spray, but many times I'm lazy and forget or stop and many of my roses get bad bs, but not SP. It's a nice bright yellow and I've been able to get nice cut flowers from it. It does tend to bloom in flushes and when it does you can get a dozen blooms. I've found that the blooms don't open fully, but someone else said they opened too fully. So it's subjective. Here's a time I was able to get a dozen roses from one bush (and still had many left on the plant)

{{gwi:274102}}

• michaelg
    13 years ago

We need the OP's location. If it's the upper southeast or mid-Atlantic, blackspot pressure is the highest in the country and no-spray roses are few. I'm sure jeffcat's Ohio garden is as he describes, but all those roses get terrible blackspot here. If the OP is in Oklahoma or Texas, there may be a lot more choices among locally resistant roses.

• ikea_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am in the mid-atlantic region.

• jon_z6b
    13 years ago

Although I own some of the other roses mentioned, I have only found one in that color category that is BS resistant (for me)- and that is Flirtatious.
    {{gwi:274104}}
    I purchased Royal Wedding this year. So far it looks promising as well.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

I've got no suggestions on the above, but just wanted to say I really enjoyed your picture Buford. To get a picture of a good looking cat (without the usual "green" eye) and a lovely vase full of roses together in the same frame is a masterful accomplishment. Just as an after thought, the Austin Happy Child had above average disease resistance when I grew it, but don't know if the stems are long enough for cutting.

• bbinpa
    13 years ago

If you live in the Mid-Atlantic Region, I would second Prairie Harvest. A second, also a Buck Rose, is Folksinger, though it is really more gold than yellow. Folksinger gets a bit of mildew sometimes, but I don't usually see any BS on either of these.

I cut PH and put in a vase. Not sure why michaelg doesn't like it as a cut flower.

Two others that are not yellow that remain BS free are Kordes Lion Rose-creamy white and Floral Fairy Tale, pale orange. Others in this region have tried FFT and found it to be a BS magnet. So, you see, YMMV (your milage may vary).

Barbara

• michaelg
    13 years ago

I forgot Irish Hope, a floribunda with very beautiful light yellow, ruffled flowers that are somewhat fragrant. It has been resistant for me for I guess 8 years and is fine for cutting.

Barbara, I cut Prairie Harvest too, and I think it would be a top choice given Ikea's location.

• ceterum
    13 years ago

Kordes' Caramel's Fairy Tale and Floral Fairy Tale are perfectly disease free here - I experiment with them to see how they hold up as cut flowers. Caramel fairy tale is gorgeous - produces huge flowers in two-three toned colors abundantly on the one hand, on the other hand, it is a frightening phenomenon: it has become a 9'x8' monster covered with blooms from top to bottom in three years.

Irish hope, a pale yellow was very clean in my garden. I don't remember how long it lasted as cut flower though I remember that it was very productive and produced long stemmed flowers. (I lost it, probably to mole 'activity'.)

• ceterum
    13 years ago

As of apricots, my favorite color, Warm Wishes aka Sunset Celebration is somewhat bs resistant here but I am not sure that it is true of the mid-Atlantic region. Winter Sunset is like MichaelG described it. Serendipity has clean foliage here but the flowers blow fast. I am afraid of recommending Valencia any more since a friend of mine lost both of her Valencia's in the first winter here in zone 8. That winter was not very cold but it fluctuated almost daily between below freeze and higher temperatures and Valencia refused to adapt to it (similarly to Just Joey, another gorgeous apricot). So I wonder how Valencia fares in colder regions without special experience or care.

• cjrosaphile
    13 years ago

I live in a very moist climate so all of my roses get BS because I don't spray. My favorite apricot rose is Lawrence of Arabia, Marie Curie coming in second. Early in the season it is darker in color. I also like Heaven on Earth but it has major floppitis. Have to stake up the branches. Just MHO. cj
    Lawrence
    {{gwi:274106}}
    Marie Curie
    {{gwi:274108}}

• michaelg
    13 years ago

Glad to see this thread revived.

I strongly recommend Mother of Pearl (which gets two votes above), but it is not apricot for me--it is a fairly light peachy-pink. Resistant here, hardy, free-blooming, and great for cutting.

I have had Valencia for ten years or so with no winter protection other than a slightly buried graft. It is tender and needs pruning nearly to the ground after a typical winter low of +5. A spectacular rose for cutting. Slightly resistant but needs spraying here.

• cltroses
    13 years ago

Irish Hope...Beautiful, upright bush with glossy green leaves. Tends to bloom in clusters for me, but always good sized flowers and fast repeater. Does great in vase..only drawback is the thrips love it!

Scott

• Zyperiris
    13 years ago

Here in Gig Harbor..southwest of Seattle..my Valencia Bs's very badly. But she is stunning

• buford
    13 years ago

I just saw Mary's comment on my picture. That was Rusty, a beautiful little girl. Yes, she had orange eyes to match her fur. She loved plants. She would plant herself around and sometimes in any planter I had in the house. She was a bit of a scardey cat, so I was lucky to get that picture before she ran off. When I would put a vase of flowers on the table, she would jump up there and rub against them. I actually have a rubber bottom on the vase to keep her from knocking it over.

Unfortunately she passed away last year. But she live a good long life, 18 years. Not bad for a semi-feral stray. Here is Rusty in my rubber plant:

{{gwi:274109}}

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County