Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

Question about training a New Dawn climbers...w/pics!

subk3
11 years ago

I followed the instructions from an Ashdown Roses "how to" video on YouTube a few months ago with a New Dawn I planted a year ago by weaving the main canes back and forth across the trellis. I love the results!

In February:

{{gwi:274113}}

Show more

In May:

{{gwi:274115}}

Show more

Now what do I do with the big new canes that are growing? (On the left hand rose you can see one on the top left and coming out the right side halfway up.) Plaster them on top of the blooming growth? Considering that I already have good flowering at the bottom do I let them go vertical and weave them at the top third of the trellis, or do I need to save that space for the future growth of the canes I've already woven? Send them on up to the roof? Do I try to train them now, wait until after the flush or wait until it's winter and they go dormant again?

I want the roses to eventually go up and over the three stoop roofs, but I really have no idea how long it should take to grow that far. The pictures are of roses I bought in a gallon last May, and it is on its own root. Anybody have any guesses on how fast it will grow?

Comments (16)

• Maude80
    11 years ago

I don't have any advice to offer but it's gorgeous and you did a great job!!!!

• stlgal
    11 years ago

It is gorgeous--what is the current height? I'm guessing 4-6 feet, in which case you may want to save much of the remaining trellis for upward growth of the canes that are there now (my NDs put out 10-15 feet canes, which will extend upward from your trellis to the roof naturally.

Those extra canes on the sides--I don't think you're going to get them on the trellis, which is crowded already, unless you get them going up vertically at the trellis edges. Then you could work them in with the others at the top and send the whole bunch skyward.

Also, any time is a good time to train ND, the earlier the better while the canes are flexible and before it shreds your legs or clothing when you enter that door.

• MaryDanielle
    11 years ago

Oh how fantastic!!! I absolutely LOVE it! You did a wonderful job!

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

You did an amazing job, subk! They look beautiful! If possible try and work those strays back toward the center and tie them in. You have to do this while the canes are still young and flexible. And you have to keep after it all the time to keep it in shape.

• bart_2010
    11 years ago

I'd definitely save those new canes and train them up vertically. It already looks great and will be absolutely spectacular once the plants start clambering over those roofs. Good for you;well done! bart

• flaurabunda
    11 years ago

Not only does your training job look great, but that's a really snazzy trellis, too!

• northtexasdude
    11 years ago

where did you get those trellis????

• the_morden_man
    11 years ago

You did a good job training the climbers and they look beautiful, but...you're really going to be in a spot of trouble in a few years.

The two areas you have made for New Dawn would be very nice for a smaller climber or pillar rose to mature into. Unfortunately, New Dawn is neither of these things and I would imagine that in your zone and climate, it doesn't suffer much, if any dieback. Without significant pruning, those New Dawns are going to eat those trellises and the front of your house in 2-3 years time. One New Dawn would be enough to cover the entire area shown in your pic.

You may really want to reconsider moving those New Dawns now before they get too large and plant a more manageable climber in those locations.

Not trying to be negative as the pics are lovely, but just passing on advice based on experience.

• stealthecrumbs
    11 years ago

Gosh, that is so pretty! I, too, would love to know where you purchased the trellis.

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

If you have 12 feet in height and 35 in width, that is plenty of space, even for New Dawn. You will just have to keep on top of tying up the new canes - it is a baby now. When it gets to be a teenager, it will start throwing out really long large climbing canes. One thing I would be careful about would be to let those new climbing canes grow to long lengths before you try to tie them up - when new they are very fragile. It will be a compromise between letting them get "hardened off" enough to not damage them, and still tying them up when they are flexible enough to do so. You have all of the right ideas in your latest post - just keep up the good work, and remember, even if you make a "mistake", this rose will shrug if off and keep on getting bigger - that is what it does!

Jackie

• stlgal
    11 years ago

RRD is the biggest threat--they aren't easy to remove once they've been in place for 5-10 years, if they get it. Best to be sure the neighborhood isn't harboring any infected plants and then just what we all do, hope for the best and enjoy the beauty!

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    11 years ago

I would not encourage shrubbiness at the base past what you have already done, because that's the part that's going to want to grow too fiercely :D

Keep the bottom thinned and don't tie in too many canes, or she may become a monster :D That's what I do, anyway. The higher canes will be more obvious when they need a lot of pruning, but I recommend getting a jump on the crazy base canes from the start (or soonish. Letting her get some big roots down first is fine.)

Once you have a few good canes on this girl, don't worry about keeping each one, lol. She gets crazy with it; don't worry :D

• elisabeth_rose
    11 years ago

It looks lovely! Be forewarned though, in 2-3 years you will not be able to use that entrance door...lol. I planted 7 ND about 7-8 years ago, even though I had plenty warning. They arrived looking like skinny pencils, and now they are the monsters that ate my yard. I severely cut them back 3 years ago, but that only encouraged them to grow bigger. I have not fertilized them in years, and they get only the water nature provides, but they seem to thrive on neglect. The June blooming is spectacular, and lasts about 3 weeks. After that it is very sporadic. I have a relatively small yard, and can no longer give them all the real estate they require, so after this years first blooms, the chainsaw and backhoe will come out.

Elisabeth

• dolzadell
    11 years ago

The stork will be arriving with my ND on Monday, so I was really excited to find these posts and pictures!. I had been thinking about where I was going to plant her and how fast, high, etc. she would grow. I am re thinking of her location now that I have read how prolific she is.

When she is established, and growing I will post some pictures!

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    11 years ago

My huge ND is hitting her peak this week, and she is just so, so pretty, I have to say! She's a monster, but she's one of the few roses I have more than one of :) Just teach her who's boss ;)