Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing rose for brick wall

Posted by ycavaz 9A (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 16:20

There is a 5 1/2 foot brick fence/wall at the back of our yard and I'm thinking of putting the climbing SDLM back there.

I'm not sure how to do that? Do I pin the canes to the brick ? Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing rose for brick wall

• Posted by dmny z7 NY (My Page) on
    Mon, May 21, 12 at 17:59

Screw metal eyehooks at intervals into the mortar, then run wire between the eyehooks to tie the the canes onto.

o

ok thanks!

o

No need to screw anything into your brick and mortar.
Just buy one of these wall trellis kits and design whatever trellis shape you want to support the rose.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=47472&cat=2,33286

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall Trellis Kit

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 22, 12 at 10:35

There are also things called "brick clips" if you do not want to damage your bricks or mortar. I've never used them myself, so perhaps someone who has can advise if they are workable or not.

Disclaimer: the company in the link is not mine, and I have no connection to it whatsoever.

Here is a link that might be useful: brick clips

o

HoovB,

Brick clips work ok provided you have smooth and flat brick exterior. If you have a rough edged and uneven textured brick exterior, they are a PITA to attach. I've used both the brick clips and the trellis kit and prefer the trellis kit, but I do have rough textured exterior brick on my home.

o

I really like the wall trellis kit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here