Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queenbee_1_gw

Orange roses?

queenbee_1
14 years ago

I am new to roses. I have purchased 12 this yr. I am looking for some orange roses.. A few I have seen pictures of, that I like, are Ginger, Gingersnap, Vavoom--YOU know, that bright orange.... BUT what, on earth, do you use as companion plants? I thought about just an entire orange bed--cosmos,lantana, old fashion daylilies--using the entire range of orange from yellowish to really orange.. Boring?? What is your favorite orange rose and how do you display it?? Thank you QB

Comments (22)

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

I have a orange bed..with yellow..it's new however. I have planted some yellow and orange lillies. I am going to move into pink down the row. So I have decided to get a oblisk and plant a large purple Clematis on it to break up the colors. Good luck. My favorite orange is Valencia

• jeffcat
    14 years ago

Purple goes together well with SOME oranges. For example, I grow Pat Austin against bluish purple campanula and have seen others grow it beside purple salvia and it's a great color combo.

• jaxondel
    14 years ago

I think purple/blue goes well with ALL oranges . . . really makes the roses 'pop'.

Color perception is, apparently, subjective. I consider 'Valencia' to be apricot -- almost yellow from a distance. My most orange HTs are 'Cary Grant' and 'Queen Beatrix'. And there's a boatload of orange Floribundas . . .

• kstrong
    14 years ago

Best orange roses that are easily available? Disneyland and Outrageous, without a shadow of a doubt. Best orange mailorder (and you might have to wait for it), Kordes Brillant (from Vintage).

Kathy

• kathy9norcal
    14 years ago

A question dear to my heart--I love orange roses. They go with reds, blues, purples, yellow and whites, and peaches. I can't imagine what they don't go with. Try spiky veronica or annual sage.
    My favorites are Outrageous, Pure Poetry, Hot Romance, Jean Giono, Samaritan, and Caribbean. Real oranges, not pastels. Pastels are more peachy to me--I love them, too, but they are not orange.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

Yellow and purple go great with orange. And blue, of course, which goes with everything. The little annual blue lobelias look wonderful with orange roses.

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Yah..I guess Valencia could be considered Apricot. I have A Sky's the limit in the corner. Along the back is Marvelle, Valencia, Crown Princess Margarita, Gold Metal, Warm Wishes. Then down in front is Vavoom, Julia Child, Living Easy. None have bloomed yet..so I will let you know how the colors worked out

• kstrong
    14 years ago

I forgot about Caribbean - that is truly one of the best oranges out there, so I second that suggestion. Tough to find though -- I think Regans and Pickering may be the only places that carried it this year, after several years of nobody carrying it. Veldfire is another one that is good, but it is not quite the bloom machine that Caribbean is.

Kathy

• jont1
    14 years ago

Ilove orange and orange blends. I don't really try to color coordinate my roses in any way prefering to just let them grow where they end up. Saying that though,I do have a small bed of all oranges and blends with Chihuly, Marmalade Skies, Tuscan Sun, Disneyland Rose and it is a favorite of most people who visit my roses.
    I also have Vavoom, Gingersnap, Octoberfest, Liverpool Remembers, Denver's Dream, Folklore, Touch of Class, Cary Grant, Imperatrice Farah, Troika, Oranges -N-Lemons, Chris Evert, We Salute You, Pumpkin Patch, Raphaela, Pat's Choice, Christopher Columbus, Spellbound, Malibu,and others I can't readily recall just right now. I would recommend any/all of these as they have been good roses for me.
    A couple that I didn't have success with and won't recommend are Laura Bush, Outrageous, Wildfire,and Rio Samba. These roses just didn't have any vigor and after three years got the shovel prune.
    Good Luck with yours.
    John

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    14 years ago

Its hard to find, but Austin's Summer Song just bloomed for the first time for me the other day and I was enchanted and want more! About Face and Strike It Rich are in the orange tones. I love Gingersnap too! I have gotten on an orange kick this year - I especially love it with hot pinks - it has a tropical look! Fushia snapdragons are pretty with my oranges, as are things in purple, lavender. Lady Emma Hamilton and Pat Austin are oranges....Hot pink Echineaca would look good next to oranges and I plan to try that....

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

Orange, white, and purple.
    Orange, yellow, and purple.

• queenbee_1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are all wonderful.. Thanks for the rose and companion suggestions... My wish list is SOOOO long!!!!

• jon_z6b
    14 years ago

I would almost call South Africa orange. The color is a good contrast with Rhapsody in Blue.
    {{gwi:274922}}

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

Spice Twice, if you can find it, and it is fragrant to boot.

• york_rose
    14 years ago

Orange is one of those colors people either love or hate. If you are familiar with the artist's color wheel, you know that some colors harmonize with orange, some colors contrast with orange, and some are more or less indifferent to orange. What colors you choose to include with your orange roses is largely a function of your own aesthetic.

I can easily imagine a bright orange rose like Tropicana happily growing with marigolds or zinnias, and likewise with flowers such as {{gwi:274918}}. I have a bed with Fragrant Cloud & Paul Sherville, with C. persicifolia as well. That blue contrasts very well against the vivid orange/scarlet of Fragrant Cloud, and also against the pale peach/apricot of Paul Shirville.

I can also easily imagine the strong contrast of vivid orange working really well against the near-perfect contrast of a dark indigo-purple flower such as {{gwi:274920}} sage.

• york_rose
    14 years ago

Orange is one of those colors people either love or hate. If you are familiar with the artist's color wheel, you know that some colors harmonize with orange, some colors contrast with orange, and some are more or less indifferent to orange. What colors you choose to include with your orange roses is largely a function of your own aesthetic.

I can easily imagine a bright orange rose like Tropicana happily growing with marigolds or zinnias, and likewise with flowers such as {{gwi:274918}}. I have a bed with Fragrant Cloud & Paul Sherville, with C. persicifolia as well. That blue contrasts very well against the vivid orange/scarlet of Fragrant Cloud, and also against the pale peach/apricot of Paul Shirville.

I can also easily imagine the strong contrast of vivid orange working really well against the near-perfect contrast of a dark indigo-purple flower such as {{gwi:274920}} sage.

• jim_w_ny
    14 years ago

Often mentioned on this subject is Westerland. It's tall nearly a climber and available from a ton of nurseries. Widely grown and apparently loved by gardeners all over the world. Has an ADR too (West German award for disease resistance and other stuff having to do with how well it grows)!

Much lesser known but in this case real climber is Salita. A mixture of colors as are most so called orange roses. "An unusual blend of red and orange" so says the ARS Encylopedia. Blooms up and down the cane not only at the top,

• jon_z6b
    14 years ago

I couldn't resist. This is the second bloom from a Mardi Gras seedling. It's close to orange and nicely fragrant... alas it looks like the form is going to be messed up.
    {{gwi:274924}}

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    14 years ago

In addition to some of the oranges already mentioned, I would throw in the floribunda Impatient or even the striped Festival Fanfare and the grandifloras Boulie's Dream, Prominent, and Glowing Peace. The hybrid teas Tropicana and Command Performance are also in the running for a spot in an orange bed. Also, don't count out using white along with the blue and purple shades especially if there is some apricot in the white as in the floribunda French Lace.

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

I love orange. I hate it, though, with purples or blues. I know, I'm weird.

If you like gardens that scream and make people reach for their sunglasses, orange and scarlet red with chartreuse is a wonderful combination, especially if there's a little shade. Gingersnap and Showbiz, for example. Ouch.

Orange, yellow, and white is spectacular all together in one bed. It looks cheerful and sunny.

Orange, magenta/fuschia pink, saturated yellow and white are nice together, reminds me of a birthday party for some reason.

I have a day-glo orange/salmon rose, Marmalade Skies, with bright orchid and butter yellow. I was going for the scarlet and scorching orange look originally, but Marmalade Skies is too pinkish for that.

So much fun!
    Renee

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    14 years ago

Two more oranges I had to mention are Iowa Club [a Buck rose, I got mine at Chamblees] and Shreveport, an older rose but a beautiful orange color.

• melanie
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

My thoughts below.

You're not weird Renee. I too hate the purple with orange.
    I tried red with my oranges thinking I would love it but I didn't - yuck. I finally ended up with white geraniums.

I did also have some blue Lobelia one year as I needed a home for them. I added white alyssum with them that year as well to add more contrast. It actually looked quite nice and worked with all the shades of orange I have.

I didn't put the lobelia with the geraniums though because I felt the large white geraniums and the small blue lobelia would look weird due to size difference. However, if you put the lobelia in front with geraniums behind them . . . that might work. I just don't have the space for that.

Please let us know what you decide on.

Melanie